Subject: 24.4; M-v no longer works in CUA-mode.

From: [email-masked] (Kim F. Storm)
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 12:54:53 -0400

I have just upgraded from 23.? to 24.4, and found that two (for me)
essintial features of cua-mode no longer works:

- Deleted text is not saved automatically in register 0 when overwriting
  highlighted region.

- M-v no longer performs the "repeat last replacement" functionality.

Both functions are documented in cua-base.el:

;; Typing text replaces the region
;; -------------------------------

;; When the region is active, i.e. highlighted, the text in region is
;; replaced by the text you type.

;; The replaced text is saved in register 0 which can be inserted using
;; the key sequence M-0 C-v (see the section on register support below).

;; If you have just replaced a highlighted region with typed text,
;; you can repeat the replace with M-v.  This will search forward
;; for a stretch of text identical to the previous contents of the
;; region (i.e. the contents of register 0) and replace it with the
;; text you typed to replace the original region.  Repeating M-v will
;; replace the next matching region and so on.
;;
;; Example:  Suppose you have a line like this
;;   The redo operation will redo the last redoable command
;; which you want to change into
;;   The repeat operation will repeat the last repeatable command
;; This is done by highlighting the first occurrence of "redo"
;; and type "repeat" M-v M-v.

Since the basic functionality has now been split from cua-mode,
I think that those functions belongs in delsel (if anywhere).

Of course, the M-v binding should still only be active in cua-mode
(since cua-mode takes over C-v it can also use M-v).

I guess the functionality could be restored by suitable tweaking of
the region-extract-function -- I will look into that possibility.

-- 
Kim F. Storm  <[email-masked]>      http://www.cua.dk