Subject: bug#18873: 25.0.50; EMACS crashes at startup on Window7 with Eacute in HOME path

From: Vincent Belaïche <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2014 17:39:12 +0100

Hello,

I have installed a fairly Emacs from source (I think that the bzr
update was of 2014-10-25) on a Windows7 machine. My son Émile has an
account on this machine. The first letter of Émile is a capital E acute,
coded as  &Eacute; HTML, or \'E in TeX. His account is not an
administrator account, but a plain user account.

Now, when I start Emacs from his account, it immediately crashes. HOME
is by default on his account the following path (with Émile inside it):

      c:/Users/Émile/AppData/Roaming

Attached is a gdb log of the crashes.

  VBR,
     Vincent.

PS: I send this from a cybercafe, I have not any phone or internet until next Friday.

In GNU Emacs 25.0.50.1 (i686-pc-mingw32)
 of 2014-10-25 on AIGLEROYAL
Repository revision: 118043 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=c:/Nos_Programmes/GNU/Emacs --without-jpeg
 --without-tiff --without-gif --without-png 'CPPFLAGS= -DFOR_MSW=1 -I
 c:/Programme/GNU/installation/emacs-install/libXpm-3.5.8/include -I
 c:/Programme/GNU/installation/emacs-install/libXpm-3.5.8/src -L
 c:/Programme/GNU/installation/emacs-install/libXpm-3.5.8/src''

Configured features:
SOUND NOTIFY ACL ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: FRA
  locale-coding-system: cp1252

Major mode: Emacs-Lisp

Minor modes in effect:
  TeX-PDF-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Recent input:
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> C-SPC <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> M-w C-x b <return> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <return> <return> <up> C-y 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <C-right> <C-right> <C-right> <C-right> s C-x 
C-s <C-left> <C-left> C-SPC <end> <C-left> <C-left> 
<C-left> <C-left> <C-left> <C-left> <C-right> M-w C-x 
C-f C-a C-y C-k <tab> <C-left> <C-left> <C-left> <C-left> 
<C-left> <left> C-k <tab> <tab> i n s <tab> <tab> a 
<tab> a <tab> C-a C-k C-g <C-left> <C-left> <C-left> 
<C-left> <C-left> <C-left> <C-left> C-y C-SPC <C-right> 
<C-right> <C-right> <C-right> <C-right> <C-right> <C-right> 
C-w C-x C-s M-x e v a l - b u f <tab> <return> C-x 
b <return> <C-home> C-s l o a d - p a C-s C-s C-s C-a 
C-SPC <end> M-w C-x b <return> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<down> <return> <return> C-y <C-left> <C-left> <C-left> 
<C-left> <left> s <C-left> <C-left> C-x d <M-backspace> 
<M-backspace> <M-backspace> c : / P r <tab> m <tab> 
g n <tab> <backspace> <backspace> <tab> G <tab> <backspace> 
<tab> <tab> <backspace> C-a <right> <right> <right> 
N <tab> G <tab> N <tab> e m <tab> - <tab> l <tab> <tab> 
C-a C-k C-g C-y C-SPC <left> C-SPC <end> <left> <left> 
C-w <end> C-x C-e C-x C-s M-x <up> <return> C-x C-f 
C-a C-a C-k c : / U S <tab> A <tab> d <tab> D <tab> 
o <tab> c <tab> <tab> e s s <tab> . t <tab> <return> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> ² ² ² <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> C-x C-s M-x e <backspace> r 
e p o r <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
("c:/Nos_Programmes/GNU/emacs-extension/lisp" "." "c:/Nos_Programmes/GNU/Emacs/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp" "c:/Nos_Programmes/GNU/Emacs/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/vc" "c:/Nos_Programmes/GNU/Emacs/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/url" "c:/Nos_Programmes/GNU/Emacs/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/textmodes" "c:/Nos_Programmes/GNU/Emacs/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/progmodes" "c:/Nos_Programmes/GNU/Emacs/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/play" "c:/Nos_Programmes/GNU/Emacs/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org" "c:/Nos_Programmes/GNU/Emacs/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/nxml" "c:/Nos_Programmes/GNU/Emacs/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/net" "c:/Nos_Programmes/GNU/Emacs/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/mh-e" ...)
Saving file c:/Users/Administrateur/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/init.el...
Wrote c:/Users/Administrateur/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/init.el
Loading c:/Users/Administrateur/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/etc/custom.el (source)...done
Making completion list... [4 times]
File mode specification error: (error "Invalid image type `xpm'")
Applying style hooks...
image-type: Invalid image type `xpm'
Saving file c:/Users/Administrateur/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/init.el...
Wrote c:/Users/Administrateur/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/init.el

Load-path shadows:
c:/Nos_Programmes/GNU/Emacs/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/progmodes/cc-compat hides c:/Nos_Programmes/GNU/Emacs/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/obsolete/cc-compat

Features:
(tex-bar tex-buf toolbar-x noutline outline font-latex byte-opt bytecomp
byte-compile cconv latex easy-mmode edmacro kmacro tex-style tex crm
advice tex-mode latexenc tex-mik preview-latex tex-site auto-loads
cus-edit cus-start cus-load info help-mode pp shadow sort gnus-util
mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr
mail-utils find-dired grep compile make-mode vc-git misearch
multi-isearch pcmpl-unix shell pcomplete comint ansi-color ring
perl-mode dired-aux sh-script smie executable dired recentf tree-widget
wid-edit cl-loaddefs cl-lib easymenu time-date tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp
disp-table w32-win w32-vars tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process w32notify w32
multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 8 233988 21621)
 (symbols 32 26383 4)
 (miscs 32 435 521)
 (strings 16 41290 13835)
 (string-bytes 1 1107749)
 (vectors 8 24704)
 (vector-slots 4 1284720 7538)
 (floats 8 105 420)
 (intervals 28 8751 40)
 (buffers 520 38))