Subject: bug#18861: Acknowledgement (25.0.50; gfile-based file notifications are not immediate)

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2014 12:12:40 -0400

> Hi.  A glib maintainer responded to the bug report, and it turns out
> emacs was using glib slightly incorrectly.  I'm attaching a patch to fix
> the issue, as suggested by the maintainer.

Thanks.  This is not my area of expertise at all, but since it seems
that noone else has replied yet, I'll try to move it along.

> +  if( g_main_context_acquire(context) != TRUE )
> +    {
> +      // we couldn't acquire the context. I let this function proceed because it
> +      // handles more than just glib file descriptors
> +      retval = -1;
> +    }
> +  else
> +    context_acquired = true;

[ Please follow our coding conventions: put a space before open parens
  (and not after, nor before close parens); use /*...*/ for comments;
  capitalize and punctuate comments; use two spaces between sentences.
  Also, I think "!g_main_context_acquire (context)" would be cleaner than
  "g_main_context_acquire (context) != TRUE".  I find comparing to NULL,
  true, or false generally ugly, tho maybe that's just a personal taste
  of mine that others don't share.  ]

Why set retval to -1?  It seems safer to leave it unchanged (ie. set to 0).

        Stefan