Subject: 24.4; gnus not handling passwords with double quotes in .authinfo

From: David Spångberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2014 12:54:29 +0100

Hi

After a recent update of emacs gnus fails to connect to a mail server
with login information listed in one of the "~/.authinfo" or
"~/.authinfo.gpg" files. The password in the file is quoted and contains
an escaped double quote. Something like this:

  machine example.org login testuser password "test\"password" port 12345

gnus fails with the following messages displayed in the *messages* buffer:

  auth-source-netrc-parse-entries: Unexpected 'machine' token at line 2
  nnimap (example) open error: 'NO (AUTHENTICATIONFAILED) Authentication failed.'.  Continue? (y or n) n

The problem seems to be a faulty regexp in
`auth-source-netrc-parse-one'. The following code run from a clean emacs
24.4 session shows the problem:

  (require 'auth-source)

  ;; The following should return "test\"password" but instead returns
  ;; "test\\"
  (with-temp-buffer
    (insert "\"test\\\"password\"\n")
    (goto-char (point-min))
    (auth-source-netrc-parse-one))

The faulty regexp in `auth-source-netrc-parse-one' I am referring to is
the following:

  ...
  (looking-at "\"\\([^\"]*\\)\"")
  ...

My current workaround is to redefine `auth-source-netrc-parse-one' in my
init file like this:

  (defun auth-source-netrc-parse-one ()
    "Read one thing from the current buffer."
    (auth-source-netrc-parse-next-interesting)
    (unless (eobp)
      (let ((matched
             (if (= (following-char) ?\")
                 (read (current-buffer))
               (buffer-substring
                (point) (progn (skip-chars-forward "^\t\n ")
                               (point))))))
        (auth-source-netrc-parse-next-interesting)
        matched)))

This definition is based on some code in `netrc-parse' from
"net/netrc.el" (maybe it is possible to use this function in gnus
instead?).

Best regards,

David

In GNU Emacs 24.4.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.14.3)
 of 2014-10-21 on bitzer.hoetzel.info
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11601000
Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-xft
 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector-strong
 --param=ssp-buffer-size=4' CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: C
  value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Emacs-Lisp

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
C-e C-x C-e C-n C-n C-M-x M-x r e p o r t <tab> <return>
G N U <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> g n u s SPC
n o t SPC h a n d l i n g SPC d o u b l e SPC q u o
t e s SPC i n SPC q u o t e d SPC p a s s w o r d SPC
s t r i n g e s <backspace> <backspace> s C-a C-e <return>
C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-l C-n C-l C-n C-l C-n C-l
C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-l C-p C-l C-p C-l
C-p C-l C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-l C-x k y e
s <return> C-g C-g C-x k <return> y e s <return> M-x
M-p <return>

Recent messages:
Checking 70 files in /usr/share/emacs/24.4/lisp/erc...
Checking 48 files in /usr/share/emacs/24.4/lisp/emulation...
Checking 151 files in /usr/share/emacs/24.4/lisp/emacs-lisp...
Checking 24 files in /usr/share/emacs/24.4/lisp/cedet...
Checking 57 files in /usr/share/emacs/24.4/lisp/calendar...
Checking 87 files in /usr/share/emacs/24.4/lisp/calc...
Checking 95 files in /usr/share/emacs/24.4/lisp/obsolete...
Checking for load-path shadows...done
byte-code: Beginning of buffer [3 times]
Auto-saving...done
Quit [2 times]

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(help-mode pp shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822
mml easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mail-utils auth-source eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv
eieio-core gnus-util mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr password-cache
time-date tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak
czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button
faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process dbusbind gfilenotify dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 82211 11023)
 (symbols 48 18873 0)
 (miscs 40 46 233)
 (strings 32 12611 4005)
 (string-bytes 1 356631)
 (vectors 16 11040)
 (vector-slots 8 403091 11662)
 (floats 8 69 402)
 (intervals 56 283 24)
 (buffers 960 14)
 (heap 1024 51340 1029))