Subject: Re: bug#18835: load-from-path is inconsistent when looking for a compiled version of the source file

From: Andy Wingo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2016 10:28:52 +0200

On Sat 25 Oct 2014 19:09, Geert Janssens <[email-masked]> writes:

> $ guild compile -o test.scm.go ../test.scm
>
> $ GUILE_LOAD_PATH=$HOME/guile \
>
> GUILE_LOAD_COMPILED_PATH=$HOME/guile/ccache \
>
> guile -c '(load-from-path "test.scm")'
>
> => This command will *not* use either of $HOME/guile/ccache/test.go or
> $HOME/guile/ccache/test.scm.go. Instead it will autocompile test.scm
> into <default-cache-dir>/test.scm.go and use that one.

Weird.  The logic in load.c is that we only add on .go if the file
doesn't already have an extension.  If the file has an extension and
it's not .go, then we don't grovel in the path at all.  I guess this is
the wrong thing?

I am not sure if we can change this in 2.0 or not.  I guess we can.

Andy