Subject: Re: bug#18823: Built-in support for visiting compressed files

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2021 15:50:09 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> This sort of thing comes up mostly when doing stuff with temporary
>> buffers, so I wonder whether we should consider adding a special form
>> for it.  That is, something like `with-temp-buffer-and-insert' that
>> would work identically as `with-temp-buffer', but insert the contents of
>> the buffer into the current buffer before killing the temporary
>> buffer...
>
> If it's something one must do a lot, maybe...

I grepped the Emacs tree.  There's only ten instances of

(insert (with-temp-buffer ...))

But there's over 200 instances of

(with-temp-buffer ... (buffer-string))

where some of them basically eventually translate to inserting that into
the current buffer -- some of which do the `insert-into-buffer' contortion
themselves.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no