Subject: Re: bug#18813: 25.0.50; gnus start fails unless image.el is loaded in advance.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 10:57:54 +0900

Katsumi Yamaoka <[email-masked]> writes:

> Well, I have another doubt.  Did you mean image.elc is not loaded
> only if the display type is not graphical?

Loading image.el won't fail and it works.  I wonder if it is really
necessary to setup image when display is not capable of displaying it.

> Does the error happen in both 24.0.50 (you seem to use) and 25.0.50
> (labeled in the bug subject)?

# 24.0.50 is currentl my main mail environment.  As I was asked to
# prepare patch against emacs trunk in bug#18728, I've prepared 25.0.50
# on temporary machine and found this bug#18813 while testing on it.

This bug#18813 doesn't occur on 24.0.50, since image.el is loaded while
gnus-art.el is loaded (gnus-image-type-available-p defined in
gnus-ems.el calls image-type-available-p).

On 25.0.50, tests in gnus-image-type-available-p are reordered and now
control returns before calling image-type-available-p when
display-images-p returns nil (it is in my case).  So, image.el is not
loaded.

Hmm, why are they reordered?  I guess it is to avoid loading unnecessary
library.

enami.