Subject: 24.4; Ediff control window not visible

From: Richard Stanton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2014 17:31:38 -0700

I just upgraded from Emacs 24.3 to 24.4 (OS X). If I run ediff on two
files, either using ediff-revision or ediff-buffers, it runs fine but
the control window, which used to appear in a separate frame with all
prior versions of Emasc, is no longer visible. I can "switch" to it
using C-x 5 o, and it responds the right way to my key presses, but I can’t 
find any way to make it visible.

In GNU Emacs 24.4.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin13.4.0, NS apple-appkit-1265.21)
 of 2014-10-20 on builder10-9.porkrind.org
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1265
Configured using:
 `configure --with-ns'

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: LaTeX

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> s-x e i C-g C-g 
<escape> x e d i f f - r e v SPC C-g C-g C-x C-f <s-backspace> 
<s-backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> C-a C-k ~ / p r o j e <tab> m o r t <tab> 
N <tab> m o r t <tab> . t e x <return> y <escape> x 
e d i f f - r e v i SPC <return> <return> <return> 
<return> y C-x 5 o n n C-x 5 o q <switch-frame> y <backspace> 
<backspace> C-g C-g <escape> x e d i f f - b u f SPC 
<return> <return> <return> C-x 5 o n n q C-x 5 o q 
<switch-frame> y <escape> x e m a c s - r e p o SPC 
<s-backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> = <backspace> - b u SPC <s-backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> r e p o SPC r SPC <tab> <r
eturn>

Recent messages:
Quit this Ediff session? (y or n) y
Quit [2 times]
Computing differences between mortgageNorms.tex and mortgageNorms.tex.~47~ ...
Buffer A: Processing difference region 0 of 7
Buffer B: Processing difference region 0 of 7
Processing difference regions ... done
call-interactively: Buffer is read-only: #<buffer mortgageNorms.tex.~47~> [3 times]
Quit this Ediff session? (y or n) y
<s-backspace> is undefined [2 times]
Making completion list...

Load-path shadows:
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/tex-site hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/auctex/tex-site
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/auctex hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/auctex/auctex
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/preview-latex hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/auctex/preview/preview-latex
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/python hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/progmodes/python
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/ox hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ox
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/ox-texinfo hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ox-texinfo
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/ox-publish hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ox-publish
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/ox-org hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ox-org
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/ox-odt hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ox-odt
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/ox-md hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ox-md
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/ox-man hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ox-man
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/ox-latex hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ox-latex
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/ox-icalendar hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ox-icalendar
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/ox-html hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ox-html
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/ox-beamer hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ox-beamer
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/ox-ascii hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ox-ascii
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/org hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/org-w3m hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-w3m
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/org-version hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-version
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/org-timer hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-timer
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/org-table hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-table
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/org-src hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-src
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/org-rmail hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-rmail
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/org-protocol hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-protocol
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/org-plot hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-plot
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/org-pcomplete hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-pcomplete
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/org-mouse hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-mouse
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/org-mobile hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-mobile
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/org-mhe hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-mhe
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/org-macs hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-macs
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/org-macro hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-macro
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/org-loaddefs hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-loaddefs
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/org-list hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-list
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/org-irc hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-irc
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/org-install hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-install
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/org-inlinetask hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-inlinetask
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/org-info hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-info
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/org-indent hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-indent
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/org-id hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-id
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/org-habit hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-habit
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/org-gnus hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-gnus
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/org-footnote hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-footnote
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/org-feed hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-feed
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/org-faces hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-faces
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/org-eshell hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-eshell
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/org-entities hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-entities
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/org-element hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-element
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/org-docview hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-docview
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/org-datetree hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-datetree
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/org-ctags hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-ctags
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/org-crypt hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-crypt
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/org-compat hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-compat
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/org-colview hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-colview
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/org-clock hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-clock
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/org-capture hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-capture
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/org-bibtex hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-bibtex
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/org-bbdb hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-bbdb
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/org-attach hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-attach
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/org-archive hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-archive
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/org-agenda hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-agenda
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/ob hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/ob-tangle hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-tangle
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/ob-table hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-table
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/ob-sqlite hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-sqlite
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/ob-sql hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-sql
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/ob-shen hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-shen
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/ob-screen hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-screen
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/ob-scheme hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-scheme
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/ob-scala hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-scala
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/ob-sass hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-sass
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/ob-ruby hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-ruby
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/ob-ref hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-ref
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/ob-R hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-R
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/ob-python hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-python
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/ob-plantuml hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-plantuml
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/ob-picolisp hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-picolisp
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/ob-perl hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-perl
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/ob-org hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-org
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/ob-octave hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-octave
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/ob-ocaml hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-ocaml
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/ob-mscgen hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-mscgen
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/ob-maxima hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-maxima
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/ob-matlab hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-matlab
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/ob-makefile hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-makefile
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/ob-lob hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-lob
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/ob-lisp hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-lisp
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/ob-lilypond hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-lilypond
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/ob-ledger hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-ledger
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/ob-latex hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-latex
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/ob-keys hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-keys
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/ob-js hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-js
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/ob-java hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-java
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/ob-io hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-io
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/ob-haskell hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-haskell
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/ob-gnuplot hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-gnuplot
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/ob-fortran hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-fortran
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/ob-exp hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-exp
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/ob-eval hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-eval
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/ob-emacs-lisp hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-emacs-lisp
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/ob-dot hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-dot
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/ob-ditaa hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-ditaa
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/ob-css hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-css
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/ob-core hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-core
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/ob-comint hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-comint
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/ob-clojure hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-clojure
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/ob-calc hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-calc
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/ob-C hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-C
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/ob-awk hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-awk
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/ob-asymptote hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-asymptote

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils help-mode easymenu vc ediff-vers
ediff-merg ediff-wind ediff-diff ediff-mult ediff-help ediff-init
ediff-util ediff vc-dispatcher vc-hg tex-mode compile shell pcomplete
comint ansi-color ring latexenc time-date tooltip electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel ns-win tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode
register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
cocoa ns multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 97944 4492)
 (symbols 48 19957 0)
 (miscs 40 104 200)
 (strings 32 17526 4918)
 (string-bytes 1 524986)
 (vectors 16 11828)
 (vector-slots 8 402640 2163)
 (floats 8 72 402)
 (intervals 56 1611 0)
 (buffers 960 17))