Subject: 24.4; python mode eldoc unnecessarily resizes echo area

From: Carlos Pita <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2014 11:42:54 -0300

The documentation shown is just one line, but the echo area is resized
to a height of two chars, so a line is wasted and the size of the echo
area is changing back and forth every time the point moves. Maybe there
is a trailing newline wanting to be stripped out for good. Forcing eldoc
to never resize the echo area would not be a nice solution.

---------------------------------

In GNU Emacs 24.4.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.12.2)
 of 2014-10-22 on carlos
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11502000
Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-xft
 'CFLAGS=-march=i686 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector-strong
 --param=ssp-buffer-size=4' CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LC_TIME: es_AR.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Custom

Minor modes in effect:
  show-paren-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  yas-global-mode: t
  yas-minor-mode: t
  ido-ubiquitous-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  winner-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <menu-bar> <Python> <Start interpreter> 
<up> <up> <S-left> <up> <up> C-a C-SPC <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> C-c C-r <up> <up> <right> <down> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> C-h 
C-g C-g C-h m C-h v e l d <return> C-h f e l d o <tab> 
<return> <down> <down> <down> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> C-x C-f / / t m p / t e s t . r <return> <backspace> 
R <return> <return> <return> <return> m a t r i x <left> 
<menu-bar> <ESS> <Start Process> <Other> <R-newest> 
<return> C-x b <return> <up> <down> <down> <left> <left> 
<left> <down> ( <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> 
<left> <backspace> M C-e <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> r e 
p <left> <up> <down> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> C-x k 
<return> y e s <return> <S-right> <S-left> C-x k <return> 
y e s <return> <down> <down> <down> <left> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> 
<left> <left> <left> <up> <up> <up> <up> <down> <down> 
<down> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <down> 
<up> <up> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> M-x c u s t o m i z e - g r 
o <tab> <return> e l d o <return> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <help-echo> M-x r e p o r 
<tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Type C-h m for help on ESS version 14.09
Cannot read history file /tmp/.Rhistory
ess-tracebug mode enabled
End of buffer [2 times]
Creating customization items...
Creating group...
Creating group entries...done
Creating customization items ...done
Resetting customization items...done
Creating customization setup...done

Load-path shadows:
~/.emacs.d/lisp/rmail hides /usr/share/emacs/24.4/lisp/mail/rmail

Features:
(cus-edit cus-start cus-load eieio-opt speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe
python json tramp-cache tramp tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs trampver
mailalias smtpmail pp shadow emacsbug sendmail rect url-queue timezone
shr-color color url-http url-gw url-auth eww mm-url shr sort smiley
gnus-cite mail-extr gnus-async gnus-bcklg gnus-ml disp-table gnus-topic
nndraft nnmh nnfolder utf-7 gnutls network-stream starttls nnimap
parse-time tls utf7 netrc gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode
nnvirtual gnus-msg nntp gnus-cache google-contacts-gnus gnus-art mm-uu
mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig gnus-sum nnoo gnus-group gnus-undo
nnmail mail-source google-contacts-message google-contacts xml url-cache
url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
url-domsuf mailcap url-util url-parse auth-source eieio byte-opt
bytecomp byte-compile cconv eieio-core password-cache url-vars
google-oauth gnus-start gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message idna
rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus
gnus-ems nnheader gnus-util mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr wid-edit
vc-git epa-file epa derived epg server paredit edmacro kmacro paren
cl-macs ob-python ob-R org org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete org-list
org-faces org-entities noutline outline easy-mmode org-version
ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-src ob-keys
ob-comint ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs find-func
cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs ess-toolbar ess-mouse mouseme thingatpt
browse-url ess-menu ess-swv ess-noweb ess-noweb-font-lock-mode
ess-bugs-l essd-els ess-sas-d ess-sas-l ess-sas-a shell pcomplete
ess-sta-d ess-sta-l cc-vars cc-defs make-regexp ess-sp6-d ess-sp3-d
ess-julia ess-r-d compile ess-tracebug format-spec ess-roxy hideshow
ess-help ess-developer ess-r-args eldoc ess-s-l ess ess-inf comint
ansi-color ess-mode ess-noweb-mode ess-utils time-date ess-custom
executable ess-compat ess-site yasnippet help-mode cl gv ido-ubiquitous
cl-loaddefs cl-lib advice help-fns imenu-anywhere imenu ido windmove
winner ring info easymenu package epg-config wombat-theme tooltip
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment
lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple
abbrev minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
dbusbind gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 8 366995 78932)
 (symbols 24 46134 1)
 (miscs 20 727 832)
 (strings 16 105276 16692)
 (string-bytes 1 3171152)
 (vectors 8 46884)
 (vector-slots 4 1604026 22908)
 (floats 8 1008 830)
 (intervals 28 1245 98)
 (buffers 512 43)
 (heap 1024 74711 1978))