Subject: bug#18794: closed (24.4; python mode eldoc unnecessarily resizes echo area)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2014 14:14:02 +0000

Your bug report

#18794: 24.4; python mode eldoc unnecessarily resizes echo area

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
18794: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=18794
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: 24.4; python mode eldoc unnecessarily resizes echo area
From: [email-masked] (Fabián Ezequiel Gallina)
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2014 11:13:33 -0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Fixed at cf100f6 in the emacs-24 branch.

Subject: 24.4; python mode eldoc unnecessarily resizes echo area
From: Carlos Pita <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2014 11:42:54 -0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

The documentation shown is just one line, but the echo area is resized
to a height of two chars, so a line is wasted and the size of the echo
area is changing back and forth every time the point moves. Maybe there
is a trailing newline wanting to be stripped out for good. Forcing eldoc
to never resize the echo area would not be a nice solution.

---------------------------------

In GNU Emacs 24.4.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.12.2)
 of 2014-10-22 on carlos
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11502000
Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-xft
 'CFLAGS=-march=i686 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector-strong
 --param=ssp-buffer-size=4' CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LC_TIME: es_AR.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Custom

Minor modes in effect:
  show-paren-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  yas-global-mode: t
  yas-minor-mode: t
  ido-ubiquitous-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  winner-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <menu-bar> <Python> <Start interpreter> 
<up> <up> <S-left> <up> <up> C-a C-SPC <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> C-c C-r <up> <up> <right> <down> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> C-h 
C-g C-g C-h m C-h v e l d <return> C-h f e l d o <tab> 
<return> <down> <down> <down> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> C-x C-f / / t m p / t e s t . r <return> <backspace> 
R <return> <return> <return> <return> m a t r i x <left> 
<menu-bar> <ESS> <Start Process> <Other> <R-newest> 
<return> C-x b <return> <up> <down> <down> <left> <left> 
<left> <down> ( <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> 
<left> <backspace> M C-e <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> r e 
p <left> <up> <down> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> C-x k 
<return> y e s <return> <S-right> <S-left> C-x k <return> 
y e s <return> <down> <down> <down> <left> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> 
<left> <left> <left> <up> <up> <up> <up> <down> <down> 
<down> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <down> 
<up> <up> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> M-x c u s t o m i z e - g r 
o <tab> <return> e l d o <return> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <help-echo> M-x r e p o r 
<tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Type C-h m for help on ESS version 14.09
Cannot read history file /tmp/.Rhistory
ess-tracebug mode enabled
End of buffer [2 times]
Creating customization items...
Creating group...
Creating group entries...done
Creating customization items ...done
Resetting customization items...done
Creating customization setup...done

Load-path shadows:
~/.emacs.d/lisp/rmail hides /usr/share/emacs/24.4/lisp/mail/rmail

Features:
(cus-edit cus-start cus-load eieio-opt speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe
python json tramp-cache tramp tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs trampver
mailalias smtpmail pp shadow emacsbug sendmail rect url-queue timezone
shr-color color url-http url-gw url-auth eww mm-url shr sort smiley
gnus-cite mail-extr gnus-async gnus-bcklg gnus-ml disp-table gnus-topic
nndraft nnmh nnfolder utf-7 gnutls network-stream starttls nnimap
parse-time tls utf7 netrc gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode
nnvirtual gnus-msg nntp gnus-cache google-contacts-gnus gnus-art mm-uu
mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig gnus-sum nnoo gnus-group gnus-undo
nnmail mail-source google-contacts-message google-contacts xml url-cache
url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
url-domsuf mailcap url-util url-parse auth-source eieio byte-opt
bytecomp byte-compile cconv eieio-core password-cache url-vars
google-oauth gnus-start gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message idna
rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus
gnus-ems nnheader gnus-util mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr wid-edit
vc-git epa-file epa derived epg server paredit edmacro kmacro paren
cl-macs ob-python ob-R org org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete org-list
org-faces org-entities noutline outline easy-mmode org-version
ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-src ob-keys
ob-comint ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs find-func
cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs ess-toolbar ess-mouse mouseme thingatpt
browse-url ess-menu ess-swv ess-noweb ess-noweb-font-lock-mode
ess-bugs-l essd-els ess-sas-d ess-sas-l ess-sas-a shell pcomplete
ess-sta-d ess-sta-l cc-vars cc-defs make-regexp ess-sp6-d ess-sp3-d
ess-julia ess-r-d compile ess-tracebug format-spec ess-roxy hideshow
ess-help ess-developer ess-r-args eldoc ess-s-l ess ess-inf comint
ansi-color ess-mode ess-noweb-mode ess-utils time-date ess-custom
executable ess-compat ess-site yasnippet help-mode cl gv ido-ubiquitous
cl-loaddefs cl-lib advice help-fns imenu-anywhere imenu ido windmove
winner ring info easymenu package epg-config wombat-theme tooltip
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment
lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple
abbrev minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
dbusbind gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 8 366995 78932)
 (symbols 24 46134 1)
 (miscs 20 727 832)
 (strings 16 105276 16692)
 (string-bytes 1 3171152)
 (vectors 8 46884)
 (vector-slots 4 1604026 22908)
 (floats 8 1008 830)
 (intervals 28 1245 98)
 (buffers 512 43)
 (heap 1024 74711 1978))