Subject: 24.4; zero width rectangular selection displaces text

From: Carlos Pita <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2014 11:32:58 -0300

1) Put the point at the beginning of the following sequence of a's.
2) Start a rectangular selection with C-x Space.
3) Move the point one char to the right.
4) Move it one char to the left so that it returns to the left margin.
5) Repeat 3 and 4 a number of times.

aaaaaaaaaaa

Do you see how the sequences of a's moves back and forward? This is not
nice and the example is not that artificial. Having lines separated by
empty lines is very common, so:

1) Put the point at the beginning of the following sequence of a's.
2) Start a rectangular selection with C-x Space.
3) Move the point one char to the right to make the selection width = 1.
4) Move the point down 5 times to extend the selection up to the line of c's.

aaaaaaaaaaa

bbbbbbbbbbb

ccccccccccc

Text looks like jelly, doesn't it? I understand that having a visual
indicator of the empty selection is a good thing but what about the
following alternatives:

a) Keep the thin line near the fringe even when the selection is not
zero width, so no displacement will happen. Or,

b) Use the fringe instead of the buffer.

In GNU Emacs 24.4.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.12.2)
 of 2014-10-22 on carlos
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11502000
Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-xft
 'CFLAGS=-march=i686 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector-strong
 --param=ssp-buffer-size=4' CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LC_TIME: es_AR.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Article

Minor modes in effect:
  show-paren-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  yas-global-mode: t
  yas-minor-mode: t
  ido-ubiquitous-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  winner-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> 
<triple-mouse-5> <down-mouse-4> <mouse-4> <double-down-mouse-4> 
<double-mouse-4> <triple-down-mouse-4> <triple-mouse-4> 
<triple-down-mouse-4> <triple-mouse-4> <triple-down-mouse-4> 
<triple-mouse-4> <triple-down-mouse-4> <triple-mouse-4> 
<triple-down-mouse-4> <triple-mouse-4> <triple-down-mouse-4> 
<triple-mouse-4> <down-mouse-5> <mouse-5> <double-down-mouse-5> 
<double-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> 
<triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> 
<triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> 
<triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> <down-mouse-5> 
<mouse-5> <double-down-mouse-5> <double-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> 
<triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> 
<triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> 
<triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> 
<triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> 
<triple-mouse-5> C-x k <return> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <up> <up> C-x SPC <up> <up> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> C-g <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <prior> 
<prior> <up> <up> <up> <up> C-SPC <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <up> <up> 
<up> C-x SPC <down> <down> <down> <down> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> 
<left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> 
<left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<down> <down> <up> <right> <right> <right> <left> <left> 
<down> <right> <down> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> C-g <up> M-x r e p o r t - 
e m a c s <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
byte-code: Beginning of buffer
Contacting host: www.google.com.ar:80
byte-code: End of buffer [4 times]
Mark set
Mark set (rectangle mode)
Quit
End of buffer [2 times]
scroll-down-command: Beginning of buffer
Mark set
Rectangle-Mark mode enabled
Quit

Load-path shadows:
~/.emacs.d/lisp/rmail hides /usr/share/emacs/24.4/lisp/mail/rmail

Features:
(shadow emacsbug sendmail rect url-queue timezone shr-color color
url-http url-gw url-auth eww mm-url shr sort smiley gnus-cite mail-extr
gnus-async gnus-bcklg gnus-ml disp-table gnus-topic nndraft nnmh
nnfolder utf-7 gnutls network-stream starttls nnimap parse-time tls utf7
netrc gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg nntp
gnus-cache google-contacts-gnus gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime
smime dig gnus-sum nnoo gnus-group gnus-undo nnmail mail-source
google-contacts-message google-contacts xml url-cache url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf
mailcap url-util url-parse auth-source eieio byte-opt bytecomp
byte-compile cconv eieio-core password-cache url-vars google-oauth
gnus-start gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message idna rfc822 mml mml-sec
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus gnus-ems
nnheader gnus-util mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr wid-edit vc-git
epa-file epa derived epg server paredit edmacro kmacro paren cl-macs
ob-python ob-R org org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete org-list
org-faces org-entities noutline outline easy-mmode org-version
ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-src ob-keys
ob-comint ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs find-func
cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs ess-toolbar ess-mouse mouseme thingatpt
browse-url ess-menu ess-swv ess-noweb ess-noweb-font-lock-mode
ess-bugs-l essd-els ess-sas-d ess-sas-l ess-sas-a shell pcomplete
ess-sta-d ess-sta-l cc-vars cc-defs make-regexp ess-sp6-d ess-sp3-d
ess-julia ess-r-d compile ess-tracebug format-spec ess-roxy hideshow
ess-help ess-developer ess-r-args eldoc ess-s-l ess ess-inf comint
ansi-color ess-mode ess-noweb-mode ess-utils time-date ess-custom
executable ess-compat ess-site yasnippet help-mode cl gv ido-ubiquitous
cl-loaddefs cl-lib advice help-fns imenu-anywhere imenu ido windmove
winner ring info easymenu package epg-config wombat-theme tooltip
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment
lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple
abbrev minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
dbusbind gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 8 329590 34438)
 (symbols 24 43603 0)
 (miscs 20 317 1004)
 (strings 16 96587 8119)
 (string-bytes 1 3029362)
 (vectors 8 43899)
 (vector-slots 4 1544164 30648)
 (floats 8 797 571)
 (intervals 28 539 279)
 (buffers 512 31)
 (heap 1024 70848 1737))