Subject: Re: bug#18788: 24.4; vc-git-working-revision vs mode-line gives error

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2015 15:10:54 +0200

On 01/31/2015 03:09 PM, Kevin Brubeck Unhammer wrote:

> The repo I've seen it with under ~ if that makes any difference (ie.
> ~/.git) – I can't remember if I've seen it other places.

Is '~/.git' the name of the directory under version control? That could 
be the cause of your problem: there is a directory with this name in 
(almost) every Git repository, and it's used to store all version 
control information. Git could be getting confused by this name.

> I get
>
>      fatal: Not a git repository: .git

This points to the above explanation. However, it's odd that you can't 
reproduce the problem reliably.

> Notably, this only happens with files that are in subdirectories of ~
> (but still tracked by the ~ repo), not with files that are directly
> inside ~. E.g. it happens with ~/org/gtd.org, but not with ~/.gitignore.

Did that happen with files inside ~/org/gtd.org? Was the error message 
the same?

> When I restarted emacs to see if it had anything to do with my init.el,
> the bug was gone again.

Yeah, I think we'll need a solid reproduction to fix it.