Subject: bug#18787: closed (Re: bug#18787: 25.0.50; Newsticker and libxml)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2014 15:12:03 +0000

Your bug report

#18787: 25.0.50; Newsticker and libxml

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
18787: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=18787
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#18787: 25.0.50; Newsticker and libxml
From: Ulf Jasper <[email-masked]>
To: Cédric Chépied <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2014 16:11:07 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Ulf Jasper <[email-masked]> writes:

> Fixed in trunk.  (By changing xml parsing at the c-level instead of
> fixing the parse tree at lisp-level.)

Closing.

Subject: 25.0.50; Newsticker and libxml
From: Cédric Chépied <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2014 08:31:54 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

When newsticker is using libxml, the list returned by libxml-parse-xml-region
sometimes doesn't start with "rss" or "feed". There is an extra "top" node and
"rss" or "feed" is (in my case) the first child node.

Recipe:
Be sure you are using libxml.
Remove your newsticker directory (rm -r ~/.emacs.d/newsticker)
emacs -Q
Go to scratch buffer
(setq newsticker-url-list '(("Explosm" "http://feeds.feedburner.com/Explosm" nil
nil nil)))
M-x eval-buffer
M-x newsticker-treeview

News is called [untitled] and has no items because of the bug.

In newsticker--sentinel-work, node-list is set with:
(list (libxml-parse-xml-region (point-min) (point-max)))

If you print this list you will see an extra top node. I fixed it with this
ugly patch in newsticker--sentinel-work:

             (topnode (car node-list))
             (image-url nil)
             (icon-url nil))
+        (if (string= "top" (xml-node-name topnode))
+               (setq topnode (car (xml-get-children topnode 'rss))))

        ;; mark all items as obsolete
        (newsticker--cache-replace-age newsticker--cache
                                       name-symbol
                                       'new 'obsolete-new)

In GNU Emacs 25.0.50.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2014-10-21 on Zorglub
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11601000
System Description:	Arch Linux

Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var --with-x-toolkit=lucid --with-xft 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64
 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector-strong --param=ssp-buffer-size=4'
 CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro'

Configured features:
XAW3D XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS
NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: fr_FR.utf8
  value of $LC_CTYPE: fr_FR.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: fr_FR.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: LI

Minor modes in effect:
  global-git-gutter-mode: t
  global-srecode-minor-mode: t
  global-semantic-mru-bookmark-mode: t
  global-semanticdb-minor-mode: t
  global-semantic-idle-scheduler-mode: t
  global-semantic-highlight-func-mode: t
  semantic-mode: t
  yas-minor-mode: t
  global-auto-complete-mode: t
  auto-complete-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  erc-track-mode: t
  erc-track-minor-mode: t
  erc-spelling-mode: t
  erc-ring-mode: t
  erc-match-mode: t
  erc-list-mode: t
  erc-pcomplete-mode: t
  erc-button-mode: t
  erc-fill-mode: t
  erc-stamp-mode: t
  erc-smiley-mode: t
  erc-irccontrols-mode: t
  erc-noncommands-mode: t
  erc-move-to-prompt-mode: t
  erc-readonly-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  virtual-desktops-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  display-battery-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  hs-minor-mode: t

Recent input:
SPC q u e SPC c ' e s t SPC p l u s SPC f l u i d e 
SPC q u ' a v e c SPC l ' a u t r e <return> j ' a 
i SPC m i s SPC l e SPC s p i SPC à SPC <kp-1> <kp-0> 
M b / s <return> m a i s SPC j e SPC n e SPC s a i 
s SPC p a s SPC s i SPC ç a SPC v i e n t SPC d e SPC 
l ' é c r a n SPC o u SPC d e SPC l ' o l i m e x SPC 
q u i SPC p o u r r a i t SPC ê t r e SPC m i e u x 
SPC q u e SPC l a SPC r a s p b e r r y <return> C-> 
M-x c h e p - m p <tab> i n i <tab> <return> <f9> c 
M-> M-< <down> m U M-> <up> m C-c <right> a k M-x c 
h e p - m p <tab> p l <tab> <return> z C-< c e SPC 
s o i r SPC j e SPC m ' o c c u p e SPC d e s SPC é 
c r a n s SPC t e x t e SPC a v e c SPC l ' a r d u 
i n o SPC e t SPC l e SPC l i e n SPC i 2 c <C-left> 
<left> <M-backspace> b u s <return> <help-echo> C-> 
M-x r e b u <backspace> <backspace> p o r t - b u g 
<tab> <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Have endpoint: (OFTC localhost 2121 t chep/OFTC a)
Connecting to localhost:2121... ...done
Logging in as 'chep'...
View mode: type C-h for help, h for commands, q to quit.
Called with: (t411 localhost 2121 t chep/t411 a)
Have endpoint: (t411 localhost 2121 t chep/t411 a)
Connecting to localhost:2121... ...done
Logging in as 'chep'... done [2 times]
Mark set [3 times]
Making completion list...

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/flim/hex-util hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/hex-util
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/flim/md4 hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/md4
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/flim/ntlm hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/net/ntlm
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/flim/hmac-def hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/net/hmac-def
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/flim/sasl hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/net/sasl
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/flim/sasl-digest hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/net/sasl-digest
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/flim/sasl-ntlm hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/net/sasl-ntlm
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/flim/sasl-cram hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/net/sasl-cram
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/flim/hmac-md5 hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/net/hmac-md5
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/semi/smime hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/gnus/smime
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/semi/pgg-pgp5 hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/obsolete/pgg-pgp5
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/semi/pgg-gpg hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/obsolete/pgg-gpg
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/semi/pgg hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/obsolete/pgg
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/semi/pgg-pgp hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/obsolete/pgg-pgp
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/semi/pgg-def hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/obsolete/pgg-def
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/semi/pgg-parse hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/obsolete/pgg-parse

Features:
(shadow emacsbug windmove smiley gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime
gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source
utf7 nnoo parse-time gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win gnus gnus-ems
nnheader elmo-maildir modb-standard wl-mime mime-edit pgg-parse pccl pccl-20
pgg-def signature mime-setup mail-mime-setup semi-setup mime-image tabify
org-table mule-util cal-china lunar solar cal-dst cal-bahai cal-islam cal-hebrew
holidays hol-loaddefs cal-iso org-agenda org-rmail org-mhe org-irc org-info
org-gnus org-docview org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb org-w3m tramp-cache tramp-sh
epa-file gnutls url-cache org-clock org-caldav icalendar org-id ox-latex
ox-icalendar ox-html ox-ascii ox-publish ox org-element org org-macro
org-footnote org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities noutline outline
org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-src
ob-keys ob-comint ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs find-func
url-dav url-http url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history
mailcap url-auth url-cookie url-domsuf url-gw url-handlers url-util flymake
hideshow chep-lyrics chep-stickyfunc chep-tag-popup git-gutter
chep-auto-complete semantic/analyze/complete semantic/bovine/gcc semantic/dep
srecode/mode semantic/senator semantic/decorate pulse srecode/insert
srecode/filters srecode/args ede/speedbar ede/files ede ede/base ede/auto
ede/source eieio-speedbar eieio-custom srecode/find srecode/map srecode/srt-mode
semantic/analyze semantic/sort semantic/scope semantic/analyze/fcn
srecode/template srecode/srt-wy semantic/wisent semantic/wisent/wisent
srecode/ctxt srecode/compile srecode/dictionary srecode/table srecode inversion
semantic/db-global semantic/symref/global semantic/symref semantic/db-find
semantic/db-ref cedet-global semantic/mru-bookmark semantic/db-mode semantic/db
eieio-base semantic/idle semantic/format semantic/tag-ls semantic/find
semantic/ctxt semantic/util-modes semantic/util semantic semantic/tag
semantic/lex semantic/fw mode-local cedet yasnippet rtags-ac rtags dabbrev
bookmark auto-complete-config auto-complete popup smart-tabs-mode magit-blame
magit-key-mode magit view tramp tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs trampver shell
help-mode grep compile epa epg diff-mode autorevert filenotify git-rebase-mode
git-commit-mode server log-edit message rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode gmm-utils mailheader pcvs-util add-log newsticker newst-treeview
tree-widget newst-plainview newst-reader newst-ticker newst-backend url-parse
url-vars xml newsticker-notify znc erc-track erc-spelling flyspell ispell
erc-ring erc-match erc-list erc-pcomplete pcomplete comint ansi-color erc-button
erc-fill erc-stamp erc-goodies erc erc-backend erc-compat format-spec thingatpt
netrc appt diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs edmacro
kmacro bbdb-wl bbdb-hooks mail-parse rfc2231 bbdb-com warnings mailabbrev
bbdb-autoloads bbdb chep-notification mime-play filename mime-w3m advice w3m
browse-url doc-view jka-compr dired image-mode w3m-hist w3m-fb bookmark-w3m
w3m-ems wid-edit w3m-ccl ccl w3m-favicon w3m-image w3m-proc w3m-util wl-demo
wl-draft eword-encode wl-template sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils
elmo-net elmo-cache elmo-map elmo-dop wl-news derived wl-address wl-thread
wl-action wl-summary ps-print ps-def lpr wl-refile wl-message elmo-mime
mmelmo-buffer mmelmo-imap mime-view mime-conf calist semi-def mmimap mime-parse
mmbuffer mmgeneric wl-highlight elmo-multi wl-folder wl wl-e21 wl-util pp
elmo-flag elmo-localdir wl-vars wl-version elmo elmo-signal elmo-msgdb modb
modb-generic modb-entity mime elmo-util emu invisible inv-23 poem poem-e20
poem-e20_3 eword-decode mel mime-def alist std11 mcharset mcs-20 mcs-e20 pces
pces-e20 pces-20 broken pcustom elmo-date timezone elmo-vars path-util poe
elmo-version pym static apel-ver product luna concurrent-autoloads
smart-tabs-mode-autoloads info finder-inf package epg-config chep-mode-line
php-mode etags ring cc-langs cl cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds
cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe
tag-stack paren chep-strike chep-couleur chep-retourne chep-pastebin
google_search ifndef_fichier_h fmanager chep-convert-audio chep-video chep-mpd
ampc easymenu avl-tree network-stream auth-source cl-macs gv eieio byte-opt
bytecomp byte-compile cconv eieio-core cl-loaddefs cl-lib gnus-util mm-util
help-fns mail-prsvr password-cache starttls tls chep-anchor easy-mmode
virtual-desktops ido time-date deeper-blue-theme time battery cus-start cus-load
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win
x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment
elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process dbusbind gfilenotify dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 738293 46687)
 (symbols 48 68147 0)
 (miscs 40 2795 2544)
 (strings 32 232431 27566)
 (string-bytes 1 6622705)
 (vectors 16 77198)
 (vector-slots 8 1961628 142107)
 (floats 8 1726 804)
 (intervals 56 5192 767)
 (buffers 976 48)
 (heap 1024 106502 6867))