Subject: bug#18756: 24.4; shell-script-mode does wrong indentation

From: Daniel Daboul <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2014 19:13:00 +0300

On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 6:20 PM, Eli Zaretskii  wrote:

> Daniel, is it true that the problem exists in both GUI and text-mode
> sessions?
>

Yes, that is true.

Also, it is noticeable that a line is indented after I press return
and then the point is aligned with the first character in the line above it
(rather than just moving down).

And I think we know that pressing enter usually causes a chain of
events. Help tells me:

RET (translated from <return>) runs the command newline, which is an
interactive compiled Lisp function in `simple.el'.

It is bound to RET.

(newline &optional ARG INTERACTIVE)

Insert a newline, and move to left margin of the new line if it's blank.
If option `use-hard-newlines' is non-nil, the newline is marked with the
text-property `hard'.
With ARG, insert that many newlines.

If `electric-indent-mode' is enabled, this indents the final new line
that it adds, and reindents the preceding line.  To just insert
a newline, use M-x electric-indent-just-newline.

Calls `auto-fill-function' if the current column number is greater
than the value of `fill-column' and ARG is nil.
A non-nil INTERACTIVE argument means to run the `post-self-insert-hook'.

I didn't mention it before, but there are modes that superficially seem
to work OK, like for example c-mode and lisp-interaction-mode.