Subject: bug#18752: 24.3.94; Why is Cygwin Emacs 2x quicker than Windows Emacs?

From: Fabrice Niessen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2014 17:04:29 +0200

Hello,

Maybe the test is partial -- even surely.  Though, I wonder why Cygwin
Emacs is 2 times quicker than its Windows counterpart to tangle an Org
file, and export it to HTML?

Observations:

- With the Widows binary "GNU Emacs 24.3.94.1 (i686-pc-mingw32) of
  2014-10-02" (compiled by Dani), it always takes around 2:35.

- With the Cygwin executable "GNU Emacs 24.3.93.1 (i686-pc-cygwin) of
  2014-08-15", it always just takes around 1:19 for the same operation.

Needless to say: same config file, same Org mode version (8.3beta from
Git), same machine, etc.

The file I used for the test is my Emacs configuration file, to be found
on https://github.com/fniessen/emacs-leuven/blob/master/emacs-leuven.txt.

The command I executed, and for which I took the above measures, is:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
    (defun org-save-buffer-and-do-related ()
      "Save buffer, execute/tangle code blocks, and export to HTML."
      (interactive)
      (let* ((orgfile (buffer-file-name))
             (base-name (file-name-base orgfile))
             (htmlfile (concat base-name ".html")))
        (save-buffer)
        (when (derived-mode-p 'org-mode)
          (let ((before-save-hook nil))
            (save-buffer))
          (org-babel-tangle)
          (when (file-exists-p htmlfile)
            (if (file-newer-than-file-p orgfile htmlfile)
                (org-html-export-to-html)
              (message "HTML is up to date with Org file"))))))
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Would it make sense, I can make a video of them side by side...

Best regards.