Subject: bug#18752: 24.3.94; Why is Cygwin Emacs 2x quicker than Windows Emacs?

From: Fabrice Niessen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2014 08:51:12 +0200

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> Fabrice Niessen wrote:
>> 
>>> You also forgot to tell what compiler options were used for each
>>> build.  E.g., if the Cygwin build is optimized, whereas the MinGW
>>> build is not, the twofold speedup is expected (I generally see
>>> a factor of 2.5 between an optimized and unoptimized build).
>> 
>> I have no idea how Cygwin Emacs gets compiled, nor Windows Emacs
>> (done by Dani). Putting them in Cc.
>
> As Ken points out, the variable system-configuration-options is the
> way to tell.

On my Windows Emacs:

"--enable-checking 'CFLAGS=-O0 -g3' CPPFLAGS=-DGLYPH_DEBUG=1"

> Given that the Cygwin build is optimized, it suffices to show that the
> MinGW one isn't, to explain the difference in speed.

Dani, can you build an optimized version as well next time?

Thanks!