Subject: bug#18739: 24.3; Request for a hook to be provided when scrolling will move the cursor

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 20:45:42 +0200

Josh <[email-masked]> writes:

> There are so many ways that this can happen that it is not possible to
> advise every function that might do it.  It is possible that
> window-scroll-functions will give me everything I need, but I haven't
> had time to try it yet.  We can resume this conversation at such a
> time, unless there is someone else who already knows that
> window-scroll-functions will not work.

(I'm going through old bug reports that unfortunately weren't resolved
at the time.)

This was seven years ago, but no follow-up happened, as far as I can
tell.

window-scroll-functions is the variable to use when doing stuff if the
window start changes (which will often move point).  A more general
hook, to be run whenever point changes, would be too heavy, because
point movement functions are called all the time and have to be
efficient.

So I'm therefore closing this bug report.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no