Subject: Re: bug#18739: 24.3; Request for a hook to be provided when scrolling will move the cursor

From: Josh <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 08:35:03 -0600

On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 8:25 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> >>> The usual technique in Emacs is to put the mark where you were before
>> >>> scrolling.  Then "C-x C-x" will get you back.
>>
>> >> This requires the forethought to set the mark before scrolling.
>>
>> > No, you can do it always.
>>
>> I don't understand. If I don't set the mark, how will "C-x C-x" know
>> where to jump back to?
>
> I meant set the mark as part of the command that is run by the wheel
> scroll, or manually just before you scroll.

If I configure the scroll wheel to set the mark every time I use it,
then imagine how many times I might have to pop the mark to get back
where I started if I scrolled down multiple screens.  This is not
practical.  And telling me to set the mark manually before I scroll is
avoiding the issue.

I want to know where the cursor was *the last time I used it*, and be
able to easily jump back to that spot.

On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 8:25 AM, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 07:53:22 -0600
>> From: Josh <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: [email-masked]
>>
>> >>> The usual technique in Emacs is to put the mark where you were before
>> >>> scrolling.  Then "C-x C-x" will get you back.
>>
>> >> This requires the forethought to set the mark before scrolling.
>>
>> > No, you can do it always.
>>
>> I don't understand. If I don't set the mark, how will "C-x C-x" know
>> where to jump back to?
>
> I meant set the mark as part of the command that is run by the wheel
> scroll, or manually just before you scroll.