Subject: Re: bug#18716: 24.3; dired-omit-extensions's default value omits COPYING.LIB

From: Reuben Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2014 20:05:21 +0100

On 15 October 2014 18:59, Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > This isn't really the forum for discussing the naming of a GNU license
> > file. dired-omit-mode deals sub-optimally with this particular name, and
> > even if the standard name were changed tomorrow, it would continue to
> occur
> > in the wild for years; so the real issue is: does it matter enough to fix
> > Emacs's treatment of it?
>
> I think the problem is in the naming of the file, rather than in Emacs's
> treatment of files that end in ".LIB".
>

Although no-one has yet answered my question why Emacs takes these patterns
to be case-insensitive even on case-sensitive filing systems.

> We could add a special ad-hoc rule for files called COPYING.LIB, but I'd
> rather we fix the original problem instead.
> "For years" is actually not that long ;-)
>

My repeated experience over the decades is that absent considerable effort,
"for years" rapidly becomes "for decades". Given that we're dealing not
just with future but also with past software releases in this case, I'm not
optimistic.

Nor however do I suggest adding special ad-hoc rules if it's possible to
avoid them, hence my question about case.

-- 
http://rrt.sc3d.org