Subject: bug#18712: 24.3; IELM fails to move point in a working buffer that is also displayed

From: Trevor Murphy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2014 18:16:05 -0400

Hi, list.  I just noticed the following.  If I start from `emacs 
-Q', then go:
 1. M-x ielm RET
 2. C-c C-b *scratch* RET
 3. Type `(goto-char 1)' at the ELISP prompt and hit RET
 4. C-x 4 C-o *scratch* RET

Then I see the *scratch* buffer in the other window with its point 
on the first character in the buffer (the first `;' on the first 
line).

However, if I reverse the order of steps (3) and (4) above, again 
starting from `emacs -Q':
 1. M-x ielm RET
 2. C-c C-b *scratch* RET
 3. C-x 4 C-o *scratch* RET
 4. Type `(goto-char 1)' at the ELISP prompt and hit RET

Then I see the *scratch* buffer in the other window with its point 
unmoved (still at the start of the second line after the initial 
scratch message).

Is this a bug?  And, if so, is it reproducible given the info 
below?

Thanks in advance.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.12.2)
 of 2014-06-11 on var-lib-archbuild-staging-i686-jgc
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 
11.0.11601000
System Description:	Arch Linux

Configured using:
 `configure '--prefix=/usr' '--sysconfdir=/etc' 
 '--libexecdir=/usr/lib'
 '--localstatedir=/var' '--with-x-toolkit=gtk3' '--with-xft'
 'CFLAGS=-march=i686 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe 
 -fstack-protector-strong
 --param=ssp-buffer-size=4'
 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro'
 'CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2''
Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

--
Trevor Murphy
GnuPG Key: 0x83881C0A