Subject: bug#18559: closed (Re: bug#18699: 25.0.50; Windows 7: Odd length text property list)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2014 13:58:03 +0000

Your bug report

#18699: 24.4.50; can't start emacs - Odd length text property list

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
18699: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=18699
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#18699: 25.0.50; Windows 7: Odd length text property list
From: [email-masked] (Óscar Fuentes)
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2014 15:57:17 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

[snip]

> It is a PITA that the MinGW64 compiler doesn't define some clear-cut
> macro for that without the need to include headers.  IME this is a
> terrible maintenance headache in the long run.

Agreed.

> Perhaps you could ask the MinGW64 developers to change their mind
> about that.

I could try, but my understanding is that they are not interested on
doing that, for multiple reasons. One of them is that, in theory, you
could use the MinGW-w64 compiler with the MinGW headers and libraries.

> What about __x86_64__, does it perhaps fit the bill already?

__x86_64__ is about the processor. It is also defined by gcc 4.8.2 on my
Kubuntu x86_64. Of course, being MinGW on x86_64 implies Windows 64. But
I've seen quite a few patch submissions about ARM support on the
MinGW-w64 ml, so an hypothetical Emacs compiled for Windows ARM 64bits
by MinGW would fail the __x86_64__ test. If that Emacs comes to light,
we probably would need to determine what's the right thing wrt
ALIGN_STACK, though.

So in this specific case __x86_64__ does not harm, but it is superfluous
on the presence on _WIN64.

>> Eli, can you take care of the ALIGN_STACK fix?
>
> Done in trunk revision 118105.

Thanks!

Subject: 24.3.90; can't start emacs - Odd length text property list
From: Jarek Czekalski <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2014 18:39:48 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I just built trunk r117948 on mingw. I can't start emacs, it reports:
Odd length text property list
I can't make a report from this version as it is not starting, even with
-Q. I managed to run r117941.

Attaching stack trace below.

Jarek

Breakpoint 4, validate_plist (list=8971294) at 
../../emacs-checkout/src/textprop.c:235
235             error ("Odd length text property list");
(gdb) bt
#0  validate_plist (list=8971294) at ../../emacs-checkout/src/textprop.c:235
#1  0x0114e2cf in add_text_properties_1 (start=4, end=48, 
properties=<optimized out>,
     object=22190749, set_type=TEXT_PROPERTY_REPLACE) at 
../../emacs-checkout/src/textprop.c:1181
#2  0x0114e634 in Fput_text_property (start=4, end=48, 
property=20970810, value=22189522,
     object=22190749) at ../../emacs-checkout/src/textprop.c:1323
#3  0x01073540 in produce_charset (pos=12, charbuf=0x88e47c, 
coding=<optimized out>)
     at ../../emacs-checkout/src/coding.c:7276
#4  produce_annotation (pos=<optimized out>, coding=0x88e6e8)
     at ../../emacs-checkout/src/coding.c:7319
#5  decode_coding (coding=<optimized out>) at 
../../emacs-checkout/src/coding.c:7414
#6  0x01077423 in decode_coding_object (coding=0x88e6e8, 
src_object=116670713, from=0,
     from_byte=0, to=11, to_byte=11, dst_object=20909466) at 
../../emacs-checkout/src/coding.c:8140
#7  0x010791e4 in code_convert_string (string=116670713, 
coding_system=<optimized out>,
     dst_object=20909466, encodep=false, nocopy=false, norecord=true)
     at ../../emacs-checkout/src/coding.c:9482
#8  0x01079405 in code_convert_string_norecord (string=116670713, 
coding_system=22096450,
     encodep=false) at ../../emacs-checkout/src/coding.c:9502
#9  0x011680e3 in intern_font_name (string=<optimized out>)
     at ../../emacs-checkout/src/w32font.c:289
#10 0x01168542 in w32_enumfont_pattern_entity (backend=21044986, 
font_type=4,
     physical_font=0x88ea48, logical_font=0x88ec30, frame=<optimized out>,
     requested_font=<optimized out>) at 
../../emacs-checkout/src/w32font.c:1085
#11 add_font_entity_to_list (logical_font=0x88ec30, 
physical_font=0x88ea48, font_type=4,
     lParam=8973812) at ../../emacs-checkout/src/w32font.c:1500
#12 0x768c247a in GDI32!D3DKMTGetDeviceState () from 
C:\Windows\syswow64\gdi32.dll
#13 0x0088ec30 in ?? ()
#14 0x768c23e3 in GDI32!D3DKMTGetDeviceState () from 
C:\Windows\syswow64\gdi32.dll
#15 0x00a946e0 in ?? ()
#16 0x768c259c in GDI32!D3DKMTGetDeviceState () from 
C:\Windows\syswow64\gdi32.dll
#17 0xee011eb1 in ?? ()
#18 0x00a907a0 in ?? ()
#19 0x768c256d in GDI32!D3DKMTGetDeviceState () from 
C:\Windows\syswow64\gdi32.dll
#20 0xee011eb1 in ?? ()
#21 0x0088ee10 in ?? ()
#22 0x01169226 in w32font_list_internal (f=0x16f4620, 
font_spec=20999229, opentype_only=1)
     at ../../emacs-checkout/src/w32font.c:833
#23 0x01178081 in uniscribe_list (f=0x16f4620, font_spec=20999229)
     at ../../emacs-checkout/src/w32uniscribe.c:74
#24 0x0111a07a in font_list_entities (f=0x16f4620, spec=24070029)
     at ../../emacs-checkout/src/font.c:2805
#25 0x0111a769 in font_find_for_lface (f=0x16f4620, attrs=0x88eff4, 
spec=24078277, c=-1)
     at ../../emacs-checkout/src/font.c:3282
#26 0x0111ab84 in font_load_for_lface (f=0x16f4620, attrs=0x88eff4, 
spec=24078277)
     at ../../emacs-checkout/src/font.c:3355
#27 0x0111ac53 in font_open_by_spec (f=0x16f4620, spec=24078277)
     at ../../emacs-checkout/src/font.c:3417
#28 0x0111ac8c in font_open_by_name (f=0x16f4620, name=116670681)
     at ../../emacs-checkout/src/font.c:3433
#29 0x011595f2 in x_default_font_parameter (f=0x16f4620, parms=22317782)
     at ../../emacs-checkout/src/w32fns.c:4382
#30 0x0115f963 in Fx_create_frame (parameters=22317782) at 
../../emacs-checkout/src/w32fns.c:4546
#31 0x011063f7 in Ffuncall (nargs=2, args=0x88f1d4) at 
../../emacs-checkout/src/eval.c:2723
#32 0x0113874b in exec_byte_code (bytestr=6, vector=2, maxdepth=16, 
args_template=20909442,
     nargs=8974804, args=0x2) at ../../emacs-checkout/src/bytecode.c:920
#33 0x01105e8a in funcall_lambda (fun=18882493, nargs=<optimized out>, 
arg_vector=0x88f348)
     at ../../emacs-checkout/src/eval.c:2956
#34 0x011061ff in Ffuncall (nargs=2, args=0x88f344) at 
../../emacs-checkout/src/eval.c:2784
#35 0x0113874b in exec_byte_code (bytestr=6, vector=2, maxdepth=20, 
args_template=20909442,
     nargs=8975172, args=0x2) at ../../emacs-checkout/src/bytecode.c:920
#36 0x01105e8a in funcall_lambda (fun=19200949, nargs=<optimized out>, 
arg_vector=0x88f4b8)
     at ../../emacs-checkout/src/eval.c:2956
#37 0x011061ff in Ffuncall (nargs=2, args=0x88f4b4) at 
../../emacs-checkout/src/eval.c:2784
#38 0x0113874b in exec_byte_code (bytestr=6, vector=2, maxdepth=24, 
args_template=20909442,
     nargs=8975540, args=0x2) at ../../emacs-checkout/src/bytecode.c:920
#39 0x01105e8a in funcall_lambda (fun=19198509, nargs=<optimized out>, 
arg_vector=0x88f628)
     at ../../emacs-checkout/src/eval.c:2956
#40 0x011061ff in Ffuncall (nargs=1, args=0x88f624) at 
../../emacs-checkout/src/eval.c:2784
#41 0x0113874b in exec_byte_code (bytestr=6, vector=2, maxdepth=68, 
args_template=0,
     nargs=8975908, args=0x1) at ../../emacs-checkout/src/bytecode.c:920
#42 0x01105f75 in funcall_lambda (fun=18902357, nargs=0, 
arg_vector=0x88f7cc)
     at ../../emacs-checkout/src/eval.c:2890
#43 0x011061ff in Ffuncall (nargs=1, args=0x88f7c8) at 
../../emacs-checkout/src/eval.c:2784
#44 0x0113874b in exec_byte_code (bytestr=6, vector=2, maxdepth=48, 
args_template=0,
     nargs=8976328, args=0x1) at ../../emacs-checkout/src/bytecode.c:920
#45 0x01105f75 in funcall_lambda (fun=18900621, nargs=0, 
arg_vector=0x88f8e0)
     at ../../emacs-checkout/src/eval.c:2890
#46 0x01105412 in apply_lambda (fun=18900621, args=<optimized out>, count=3)
     at ../../emacs-checkout/src/eval.c:2831
#47 0x0110565e in eval_sub (form=22106294) at 
../../emacs-checkout/src/eval.c:2253
#48 0x01107904 in Feval (form=22106294, lexical=20909442) at 
../../emacs-checkout/src/eval.c:1993
#49 0x0109e056 in top_level_2 () at ../../emacs-checkout/src/keyboard.c:1207
#50 0x01104b67 in internal_condition_case (bfun=0x109e03a <top_level_2>, 
handlers=20959738,
     hfun=0x109f702 <cmd_error>) at ../../emacs-checkout/src/eval.c:1344
#51 0x0109e96e in top_level_1 (ignore=20909442) at 
../../emacs-checkout/src/keyboard.c:1215
#52 0x01104aab in internal_catch (tag=20953578, func=0x109e910 
<top_level_1>, arg=20909442)
     at ../../emacs-checkout/src/eval.c:1105
#53 0x0109f383 in command_loop () at 
../../emacs-checkout/src/keyboard.c:1176
#54 recursive_edit_1 () at ../../emacs-checkout/src/keyboard.c:787
#55 0x0109f644 in Frecursive_edit () at 
../../emacs-checkout/src/keyboard.c:858
#56 0x0109ab40 in main (argc=<optimized out>, argv=0xc52ff8)
     at ../../emacs-checkout/src/emacs.c:1643
(gdb)

In GNU Emacs 24.3.90.2 (i686-pc-mingw32)
  of 2014-05-08 on BONSOFTW7
Repository revision: 117082 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
  `configure --prefix=d:/program_files/emacs24-master'

Important settings:
   value of $LANG: pl
   locale-coding-system: cp1250

Major mode: C

Minor modes in effect:
   shell-dirtrack-mode: t
   global-hl-line-mode: t
   recentf-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   size-indication-mode: t
   column-number-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t
   abbrev-mode: t

Recent input:
<help-echo> M-x r e p o r <tab> <return> c a n ' t
SPC s t a r t SPC e m a c s SPC - SPC o d d SPC l e
n g t h SPC t e x t SPC p r o p e r t y SPC l i s t
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> C-g
C-x C-f c : \ t e m p \ s r c \ e m <tab> - c h <tab>
s r c <return> M-x g r e p <return> o d d . l e n SPC
* <return> <help-echo> <help-echo> <down-mouse-2> <mouse-1>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <home> <up> <up> <up> <up>
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <down>
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down>
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <up> <up> <down>
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up>
<up> <up> <up> <up> <help-echo> M-x r e p o r t - e
m <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Loading 
c:/Users/Jarek/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/snippets/text-mode/.yas-compiled-snippets.el 
(source)...done
[yas] Loading snippet files from 
c:/Users/Jarek/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/snippets/text-mode
[yas] Loaded ~/.emacs.d/snippets
[yas] Reloaded everything....
Loading hl-line...done
Loading whitespace...done
Loading grep...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Quit
Grep exited abnormally with code 2

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr vc-bzr cc-langs cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess
cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs shell
pcomplete dired emacsbug message rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums grep compile comint ansi-color ring
whitespace hl-line cus-start cus-load xml-parse yasnippet derived
easy-mmode edmacro kmacro help-mode folding-isearch folding cl-macs
advice cl gv eww mm-url gnus gnus-ems nnheader mail-utils url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf
url-util url-parse auth-source eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile
cconv eieio-core gnus-util mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr password-cache
url-vars mailcap shr browse-url format-spec bookmark pp recentf
tree-widget wid-edit cl-loaddefs cl-lib easymenu server time-date
tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel
dos-w32 ls-lisp w32-common-fns disp-table w32-win w32-vars tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
w32notify w32 multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 8 217908 14720)
  (symbols 24 28252 0)
  (miscs 20 131 289)
  (strings 16 40240 5876)
  (string-bytes 1 1255123)
  (vectors 8 19506)
  (vector-slots 4 504869 6396)
  (floats 8 199 265)
  (intervals 28 3022 3678)
  (buffers 508 17))