Subject: bug#18682: flymake-mode does not find makefiles named "makefile" or "GNUmakefile"

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 May 2021 05:30:24 +0200

Rob Browning <[email-masked]> writes:

> Looks like this was reported to flymake, and is even mentioned in a
> comment in (24.3) flymake.el, but I thought there was a chance it should
> be in the Emacs tracker too.
>
> Josh Triplett <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> flymake-mode only searched for makefiles named "Makefile"; it will not
>> find a makefile named "makefile" or "GNUmakefile".

Looking at the flymake source code, this still seems to be the case in
Emacs 28.

It seems like this should be pretty easy to fix -- if we extend
`flymake-proc--init-find-buildfile-dir' to take a list of build file
names instead of a single file and then perhaps add a user option to
allow specifying the makefile names and use that in
`flymake-proc-simple-make-init' (etc.)?  (And have "Makefile" as the
first entry in that user option to preserve backwards compatibility.)

João, does that sound like a likely solution?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no