Subject: Re: bug#18681: The Linux cp command has bugs

From: Assaf Gordon <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2014 15:13:44 -0400

Hello Mike,

On 10/10/2014 01:25 PM, Polehn, Mike A wrote:>
> Problem need to copy a tree of 1000s of files to another directory
> that is a git directory that has a whole bunch of additional build
> files, so diff between the directories will not do any good.
>

This is slightly off-topic, but if you want to compare only files managed by git (ignoring other files in current directory), perhaps the following would help:

     # Download and extract the tarball
     wget -q http://dpdk.org/browse/dpdk/snapshot/dpdk-1.7.1.tar.gz
     tar -xf dpdk-1.7.1.tar.gz

     # Clone the git repo with specific branch, checkout the relevant branch
     # (or go to an existing checked-out repository directory)
     git clone git://dpdk.org/dpdk
     cd dpdk
     git checkout -b map_v1.7.1 v1.7.1

     # For each file managed by git (with 'git ls'),
     # compare it to the corresponding file in the other directory:
     git ls -0 | xargs -0 -I% diff -q % ../dpdk-1.7.1/%

Regards,
  -gordon