Subject: bug#1868 closed by Jason Rumney <[email-masked]> (Re: bug#1868: Default fontset not discussed in documentation)

From: [email-masked] (Emacs bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 14:00:04 +0000

This is an automatic notification regarding your bug report
which was filed against the emacs,documentation package:

#1868: Default fontset not discussed in documentation

It has been closed by Jason Rumney <[email-masked]>.

Their explanation is attached below along with your original report.
If this explanation is unsatisfactory and you have not received a
better one in a separate message then please contact Jason Rumney <[email-masked]> by
replying to this email.

-- 
1868: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=1868
Emacs Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#1868: Default fontset not discussed in documentation
From: Jason Rumney <[email-masked]>
To: Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 21:53:12 +0800

Juanma Barranquero wrote:
> Package: emacs,documentation
> Version: 23.0.60
> Severity: minor
>
> (emacs)Fonsets describes the "startup fontset" (fontset-startup) and
> the "standard fontset" (fontset-standard), but it does not mention the
> "default fontset" (fontset-default).
>   

I've added a description of the default fontset to this section, and 
modified the descriptions of the other two based on how I observe them 
working in Emacs 23, including the fact that fontset-startup seems to be 
defined even if you don't specify a startup font explicitly, and both 
fontsets fall back on fontset-default for characters that are not 
covered by their respective definitions.

Subject: Default fontset not discussed in documentation
From: "Juanma Barranquero" <[email-masked]>
To: "Emacs Bug Tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 11:46:33 +0100

Package: emacs,documentation
Version: 23.0.60
Severity: minor

(emacs)Fonsets describes the "startup fontset" (fontset-startup) and
the "standard fontset" (fontset-standard), but it does not mention the
"default fontset" (fontset-default).

(elisp)Fonsets mentions the default fontset in the description of
`set-fontset-font', with:

     If NAME is `nil', this function modifies the default fontset,
     whose short name is `fontset-default'.

However, what is the default fontset, its uses, or how does it relates
to fontset-startup and fontset-standard, are never discussed anywhere.