Subject: 25.0.50; on PPC Mac OS X 10.4.11 (Tiger) font in menus and menubar is too high

From: Peter Dyballa <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2014 14:13:46 +0200

Hello!

In GNU Emacs 25.0.50.6 (powerpc-apple-darwin8.11.0, X toolkit, Xaw3d  
scroll bars)
  of 2014-10-10 on tiger
Repository revision: 118080 [email-masked] 
dhgjku4gclzl71kj
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version  
11.0.11699001
Configured using:
  `configure --without-pop --without-sound --without-gpm --without-dbus
  --without-gconf --without-gsettings --without-selinux --without-xim
  --without-imagemagick --disable-acl --with-x-toolkit=athena
  --disable-ns-self-contained --x-libraries=/opt/local/lib
  --x-includes=/opt/local/include
  '--enable-locallisppath=/Library/Application
  Support/Emacs/calendar24:/Library/Application Support/Emacs'
  'CFLAGS=-Wa,-v -H -pipe -fPIC -fno-common -Os -faltivec -mcpu=7450
  -mtune=7450' 'LDFLAGS=-bind_at_load -t -v'
  PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/opt/local/lib/pkgconfig:/opt/local/share/ 
pkgconfig:/usr/X11/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/X11/share/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/ 
pkgconfig'

Configured features:
XAW3D XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG NOTIFY GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE LIBOTF
XFT ZLIB

Using the X resources

	Emacs*menu*.font:	-*-utopia-bold-r-*-*-11-*-*-*-*-*-iso10646-1
	Emacs*menu*borderColor:	DeepSkyBlue
	Emacs*menu*borderWidth:	3
	Emacs*menu*shadowThickness:	3
	Emacs*menu.attributeBackground:	lavender
	Emacs*menu.attributeForeground:	DarkRed
	Emacs*pane.menubar.font:	-*-lucida-bold-r-*-sans-10-*-*-*-*-*- 
iso10646-1
	Emacs*pane.menubar.margin:	2
	Emacs*pane.menubar.shadowThickness:	3
	Emacs.menu*.font:	-*-bitstream vera serif-medium-r-*-*-10-*-*-*-m-*- 
iso10646-1

GNU Emacsen 24.x obviously use Lucida Sans in menu bar and menus,  
while GNU Emacs 25.0.50 uses some other sans-serif font, presumingly  
Vera, normal face, at 20 or maybe more points. Lsof shows these fonts  
opened by GNU Emacs 25.0.50:

emacs-25. 9112 pete  txt   VREG       14,6   130912   436779 /System/ 
Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.3.1/Home/lib/fonts/ 
LucidaTypewriterRegular.ttf
emacs-25. 9112 pete  txt   VREG       14,6    65932   502377 /usr/ 
X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/Vera.ttf
emacs-25. 9112 pete  txt   VREG       14,6    27799  1565732 /usr/ 
local/texlive/texmf-local/fonts/type1/bh/lucida/lsto.pfb
emacs-25. 9112 pete  txt   VREG       14,6    28371  1565730 /usr/ 
local/texlive/texmf-local/fonts/type1/bh/lucida/lstb.pfb
emacs-25. 9112 pete  txt   VREG       14,6   242700   464578 /System/ 
Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Home/lib/fonts/ 
LucidaTypewriterRegular.ttf

Lucida Sans Typewriter is passed as -fn argument to GNU Emacs on the  
command line.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Hard Disk, n.:
	A device that allows users to delete vast quantities of data with  
simple mnemonic commands.