Subject: bug#18657: 24.4.50; positioning frames on multi-monitor displays

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2014 16:56:40 -0700 (PDT)

FYI - The OP tried this code that I suggested, for left and top,
instead of 0 and 0, in the `maximize-frame' code of frame-cmds.el:

(nth 1 (assq 'workarea (frame-monitor-attributes frame))) ; For left
(nth 2 (assq 'workarea (frame-monitor-attributes frame))) ; For top

But he does not have Emacs 24.4, so no `frame-monitor-attributes'
(and that ultimately depends on C code, so I can't just send him
the latest frame.el code to test).

He did try substituting (- 1520) instead of 0 for the `left' value,
and that positioned the frame pretty much where it should be.

Dunno yet whether -1520 would do the same thing.  There is nothing
in the doc that indicates the formats (or types) of the components
of what is returned for `workarea' & `geometry' (there should be).
But Andy Moreton's feedback shows that the value can be something
like -1520.

If there is someone with Emacs 24.4 who could test my `maximize-frame'
code with the change I suggested (using the code above, instead
of 0, for left and top), that would be good.