Subject: 25.0.50; No method window-system-initialization for nil frame

From: Tom Tromey <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2014 07:47:23 -0600

I updated and built emacs trunk this morning.

I ran "emacs -Q" then M-x server-start.
Then in a terminal window I tried "emacsclient -t".

emacsclient reports

*ERROR*: No method window-system-initialization for nil frame

In GNU Emacs 25.0.50.2 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.9)
 of 2014-10-07 on pokyo
Repository revision: 118068 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Fedora Project', version 11.0.11404000
System Description:	Fedora release 20 (Heisenbug)

Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/home/tromey/Emacs/install'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS NOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX
GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE LIBOTF XFT ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Group

Minor modes in effect:
  gnus-topic-mode: t
  gnus-undo-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  projectile-global-mode: t
  projectile-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  erc-services-mode: t
  erc-list-mode: t
  erc-menu-mode: t
  erc-autojoin-mode: t
  erc-ring-mode: t
  erc-networks-mode: t
  erc-pcomplete-mode: t
  erc-track-mode: t
  erc-match-mode: t
  erc-button-mode: t
  erc-fill-mode: t
  erc-stamp-mode: t
  erc-netsplit-mode: t
  erc-irccontrols-mode: t
  erc-noncommands-mode: t
  erc-move-to-prompt-mode: t
  erc-readonly-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Recent input:
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> ! <help-echo> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> M-x t 
r o m <tab> s e t <tab> <return> C-z n M-x M-p C-g 
<help-echo> <switch-frame> C-c r n n SPC E SPC SPC 
n <backspace> E S-SPC C-u <return> E S-SPC = E E E 
E E E q SPC Q y M-x r e p o t <backspace> r t - e m 
<tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Type C-x 4 b RET to restore old contents of the bbdb-list window.
Add address "[email-masked]" to "..."? (y or n) y
 
Make "[email-masked]" the primary address? (y or n) n
 
noticed Nextdoor ...'s address "[email-masked]"
Expiring articles...done
Opening nnimap server on mail.mozilla.com...done
nnimap read 0k from mail.mozilla.com
Discard changes to this group and exit? (y or n) y

Load-path shadows:
/home/tromey/.emacs.d/elpa/css-mode-1.0/css-mode hides /home/tromey/Emacs/install/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/textmodes/css-mode
/home/tromey/.emacs.d/elpa/bubbles-0.5/bubbles hides /home/tromey/Emacs/install/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/play/bubbles
/home/tromey/Emacs/install/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/loaddefs hides /home/tromey/Emacs/install/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/obsolete/loaddefs

Features:
(shadow mail-hist emacsbug flow-fill bbdb-gui bbdb-hooks sort gnus-cite
smiley shr-color color mule-util shr browse-url mm-archive gnus-async
gnus-bcklg qp gnus-ml disp-table gnus-topic nndraft nnmh nnfolder utf-7
bbdb-gnus bbdb-snarf mail-extr bbdb-com warnings cl gv gnutls
network-stream starttls gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode
nnvirtual gnus-msg nntp gnus-cache gnus-registry registry eieio-base
gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig mailcap gnus-sum
gnus-group gnus-undo smtpmail sendmail gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap
nnmail mail-source tls utf7 netrc nnoo parse-time gnus-spec gnus-int
gnus-range message rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader gnus-win gnus gnus-ems nnheader mail-utils goto-addr add-log
conf-mode sgml-mode dired-aux gud python vc-arch vc-mtn vc-hg js json
smerge-mode diff-mode bug-reference copyright cus-edit cc-mode cc-fonts
cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds org-element org-rmail org-mhe org-irc org-info
org-gnus org-docview doc-view jka-compr image-mode dired org-bibtex
bibtex org-bbdb org-w3m org org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete
org-list org-faces org-entities noutline outline easy-mmode org-version
ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-src ob-keys
ob-comint ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs vc-bzr
vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs vc-git flyspell ispell eldoc diminish appt
diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs which-func imenu
projectile edmacro kmacro pkg-info find-func lisp-mnt epl grep compile
dash s minimap autorevert filenotify desktop frameset cus-start cus-load
status erc-services erc-list erc-menu erc-join erc-ring erc-networks
erc-pcomplete pcomplete erc-track erc-match erc-button wid-edit
cl-loaddefs cl-lib erc-fill erc-stamp erc-netsplit erc-goodies erc
erc-backend erc-compat format-spec auth-source eieio byte-opt bytecomp
byte-compile cconv eieio-core gnus-util mm-util mail-prsvr
password-cache thingatpt pp advice help-fns vc-dir ewoc vc vc-dispatcher
cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs bbdb timezone ange-ftp
comint ansi-color ring server savehist dwarf-mode-autoloads
jabber-autoloads lisppaste-autoloads pydoc-info-autoloads info-look info
easymenu weblogger-autoloads package epg-config bbdb-autoloads time-date
tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel
x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list
newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak
czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button
faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process dbusbind gfilenotify dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1316064 17802)
 (symbols 48 122931 0)
 (miscs 40 52288 367)
 (strings 32 312209 81615)
 (string-bytes 1 7291751)
 (vectors 16 93795)
 (vector-slots 8 1737780 22333)
 (floats 8 523 585)
 (intervals 56 68817 1125)
 (buffers 976 476)
 (heap 1024 125396 3081))

Tom