Subject: bug#18643: 25.0.50; elisp--expect-function-p

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2014 20:31:33 +0400

On 10/10/2014 08:33 AM, Leo Liu wrote:

> Sorry, I am merely reporting this as a usability bug and I don't intend
> to get too deep into it (too little time :().

I'm not asking you to code, just to read the available info. Otherwise 
you're assuming others have the time to repeat the discussions.

> I failed so I spoke up but not to blame any change.

Why not? vc-annotate is a standard tool.

> 1. Leave room for other usage habits;

Sure. But unfortunately, supporting a set of different usage habits 
means the result may be suboptimal for some of them.

On 10/11/2014 04:25 AM, Leo Liu wrote:

 > This gives me a sense that you are thinking about a situation when
 > someone uses company and has the completions displayed immediately.

Yes, that's my point of reference. But on the other hand, you could say 
that it just emphasises the existing problem: Lisp code outside of 
quotes usually constitutes the minority of the text in docstrings (and 
moreso in comments). The rest of the text would be better served by a 
different completion function (maybe dictionary-based, like Ispell). And 
if `lisp-completion-at-point' offers completions there, no other 
completion function can do so.

 > In standard default emacs behaviour, I had never getting anything
 > without me asking for it, be it in comments or strings or code. They
 > only appear when I ask.

Maybe someone else would prefer to see actual words as completions, when 
they are writing prose?