Subject: bug#18643: 25.0.50; elisp--expect-function-p

From: Leo Liu <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2014 08:16:33 +0800

On 2014-10-10 09:25 -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> I know, but there's really no way for Emacs to know what you intend to
> complete here.

I am fine with giving me anything from obarray. elisp names tend to be
very long anything that you can give me help me save time.

> So I think the right solution for this is to write
> a completion-at-point-function which is designed specifically for
> "completion in strings and comments" and which would probably rely on
> something like dabbrev, complemented by a major-mode-supplied list of
> additional candidates.
>
> WDYT?

Is this a solution for elisp or all modes? I am only concerned about
elisp mode though, which already has a good completion source ie
obarray.

For example, in common lisp I prefer the fuzzy completion (from slime)
which basically gives me anything sorted by score (with a user settable
cutoff). I haven't had any problem quickly getting the completion I have
in mind.

I don't understand why we work so hard to prevent completion in strings
and comments. Sorry if this has been discussed.

Thanks,
Leo