Subject: Re: bug#18643: 25.0.50; elisp--expect-function-p

From: Leo Liu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2014 12:33:09 +0800

On 2014-10-10 07:56 +0400, Dmitry Gutov wrote:
> It wouldn't be the worst approach, but we should be able to do better.
>
>> Also could we not force users to insert ` before any completion in
>> strings or comments.
>
> Please don't ignore the available information about why things work as
> they do currently. Have you looked at the revision that introduced
> that change? Do you have anything to add to the discussion in the
> related bug?

Sorry, I am merely reporting this as a usability bug and I don't intend
to get too deep into it (too little time :(). If I can work around it I
do that and get back to my work. For this bug I actually tried to get
used to it. I failed so I spoke up but not to blame any change.

You seem to be fairly confident on the approach chosen. Good and I look
forward to its improvements. Please be considerate on two things:

1. Leave room for other usage habits;

2. Rely less on heuristics. As also suggested by Stefan, do what he did
   with elisp--local-variables, i.e. code walk the expansion of the sexp
   and pick out the var/function postions/names. elisp--local-variables
   performs really well because it `guess' it right.

HTH,
Leo