Subject: Re: bug#18643: 25.0.50; elisp--expect-function-p

From: Leo Liu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2014 07:43:19 +0800

On 2014-10-09 11:27 -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> BTW, to improve on these behaviors, one approach is to take the
> macro-expansion code used in elisp--local-variables and use it
> "everywhere".  I.e. expand elisp--local-variables so it doesn't just
> return the list of local vars, but also returns whether we're inside
> a quote, or we're expecting a function, or we're expecting an expression.

Is it possible to use weight or priority i.e. the context decided
doesn't cut completion space to a subset but instead prioritise those
fit into the context by putting them at the front. Or find a way to
allow other completions to show up when the input matches none of the
subset.

Also could we not force users to insert ` before any completion in
strings or comments.

BTW, this is what happens when false negative hits:

1. If I remember the completion and it is short I type it output but
   often I double check with C-h f or C-h v to make sure it is correct.

2. When it is long or I don't remember I have to use C-h f or C-h v and
   copy it over from the *Help* buffer.

The cost is high and painful.

Thanks,
Leo