Subject: Re: bug#18637: 24.4.50; doc of frame parameter DISPLAY vs actual value on MS Windows

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2014 17:39:06 +0300

> Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2014 19:55:48 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> Is there no support for multiple monitors on MS Windows?

There is, but by and large, Emacs will see them as a single large
desktop.  See here:

  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd145071%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

(We don't support the "independent monitors" mode mentioned there.)

In any case, "multiple monitors" and "multiple displays" are 2
different issues.  Each display can have multiple monitors.

> I was not able to find out how to obtain info about which monitor
> is being used to show a particular frame

The functions you mentioned provide that info, or maybe I don't
understand what info are you looking for.q

> how to specify which monitor to use to display a particular frame.

You can't.

> The symptom reported was that by modifying a frame's parameters
> to restore its previous values of `top', `left', `width' and
> `height', the frame got moved to another monitor, for some
> reason.

Probably because the pixel coordinates mapped to that other monitor,
the URL above explains that, among other things.