Subject: 24.3.94; image-dired fail when `image-dired-dir' doesn't exist

From: Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2014 15:31:42 +0200

If `image-dired-dir' doesn't exists, image-dired fail with 
something like "could not resize image" with no indications on what is happening.
IOW image-dired should create its directory when this one doesn't
exists, or at least send a helpful message to notify user he have first
to create manually this directory.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.94.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, X toolkit)
 of 2014-10-03 on dell-14z
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11501000
System Description:	Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS

Configured using:
 `configure --with-x-toolkit=lucid --without-toolkit-scroll-bars
 --without-gconf --without-gsettings'

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: fr_FR.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Emacs-Lisp

Minor modes in effect:
  git-gutter-mode: t
  psession-mode: t
  golden-ratio-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  undo-tree-mode: t
  auto-image-file-mode: t
  eldoc-in-minibuffer-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode: t
  helm-mode: t
  helm-descbinds-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  helm-adaptive-mode: t
  helm-match-plugin-mode: t
  helm-occur-match-plugin-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> C-u 
C-: C-g C-g C-x C-f <left> <left> <left> t é é <left> 
i m a <down> <up> <right> <down> d i c <backspace> 
v <right> <left> <down> <right> <down> <down> M-i C-n 
C-n C-n M-i C-g <f8> U b u q q <f11> s c C-x C-b <return> 
<up> <down> <down> C-x C-f <left> <left> <left> <left> 
<left> <left> t m p <left> M-i C-g <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> 
C-h C-f C-g <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> C-a <tab> C-u 
C-: C-g C-x C-f <left> <left> <left> e m s d <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <up> <up> <up> <up> <right> 
C-g M-x r e p o r t <return> i m <tab> g <backspace> 
<backspace> a g e - d i r e d SPC i s SPC n o t SPC 
c r e a t i n g <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> f a u <backspace> i l SPC w 
h e n SPC i t s SPC t e m p SPC d i r SPC i s <backspace> 
<backspace> d o e s n ' t SPC e x i s t C-g C-s d i 
r e <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <right> <left> <left> <left> 
<left> <left> <left> <left> C-M-SPC M-w M-x r e p o 
r t <return>

Recent messages:
image-dired-display-image-mode enabled [9 times]
Loading package list...
Loading package list done
Starting Firefox...
[mu4e] Retrieving mail...done
[mu4e] Indexing... processed 14000, updated 0
[mu4e] Indexing completed; processed 14853, updated 0, cleaned-up 6
[mu4e] mu4e-main-mode
Quit
Mark set

Load-path shadows:
~/elisp/auctex/lpath hides ~/elisp/emacs-wget/lpath
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.94/lisp/emacs-lisp/tq hides ~/elisp/emms/lisp/tq

Features:
(shadow epa-mail emacsbug helm-command cl-indent mule-util edebug
helm-apt find-cmd generic smiley gnus-cite mail-extr gnus-async
gnus-bcklg gnus-ml nndraft nnmh nnml nnfolder parse-time netrc gnutls
network-stream starttls tls gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode
nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig
nntp gnus-cache org-agenda org-element org-rmail org-mhe org-irc
org-info org-gnus org-docview org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb org-w3m
tramp-cache tramp-sh cc-langs cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds
cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs make-mode markdown-mode
vc-rcs sh-script smie executable vc-git naquadah-theme em-unix em-script
em-prompt em-ls em-hist em-pred em-glob em-dirs em-cmpl em-basic
em-banner em-alias align-let git-gutter server psession golden-ratio
winner undo-tree diff slime-xref-browser slime-banner slime-tramp
slime-asdf slime-fancy slime-trace-dialog slime-fontifying-fu
slime-package-fu slime-references slime-compiler-notes-tree
slime-scratch slime-presentations bridge slime-fuzzy slime-fancy-trace
slime-fancy-inspector slime-c-p-c slime-editing-commands slime-autodoc
slime-repl elp slime-parse slime gud apropos etags arc-mode archive-mode
image-file xdvi-search preview-latex tex-site auto-loads
pcomplete-extension pcmpl-unix pcmpl-gnu em-term term disp-table ehelp
helm-ipython helm-elisp helm-eval python json eldoc-eval warnings
whitespace paren time recentf tree-widget savehist mu4e-config org-mu4e
helm-mu mu4e-contrib mu4e mu4e-speedbar speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe
mu4e-main mu4e-view mu4e-headers mu4e-compose mu4e-draft mu4e-actions
ido rfc2368 mu4e-mark mu4e-message html2text mu4e-proc mu4e-utils
mu4e-lists mu4e-about mu4e-vars mu4e-meta gnus-dired nnir gnus-sum
gnus-group gnus-undo nnmail mail-source gnus-start gnus-spec gnus-int
gnus-range gnus-win nnoo config-w3m w3m-search w3m doc-view jka-compr
image-mode timezone w3m-hist w3m-fb bookmark-w3m w3m-ems w3m-ccl ccl
w3m-favicon w3m-image w3m-proc w3m-util w3m-load smtpmail-async smtpmail
sendmail dired-async iterator lacarte iedit-rect iedit iedit-lib
smallurl mm-url gnus gnus-ems nnheader wid-edit rectangle-utils rect
ledger-config ledger esh-var esh-io esh-cmd esh-opt esh-ext esh-proc
eldoc esh-groups eshell esh-module esh-mode esh-arg esh-util tv-utils
pcvs vc-cvs pcvs-parse pcvs-info pcvs-defs pcvs-util ewoc mb-depth
cl-info hyperspec slime-autoloads esh-toggle flymake no-word htmlize cl
dired-extension emms-mpd-config emms-playlist-limit emms-volume
emms-volume-amixer emms-i18n emms-history emms-score emms-stream-info
emms-metaplaylist-mode emms-bookmarks emms-cue emms-mode-line-icon
emms-browser sort emms-playlist-sort emms-last-played emms-player-xine
emms-player-mpd tq emms-playing-time emms-lyrics emms-url hl-line
emms-tag-editor emms-mark emms-mode-line emms-cache emms-info-ogginfo
emms-info-mp3info emms-playlist-mode emms-player-vlc emms-player-mplayer
emms-info emms-streams later-do emms-source-playlist emms-source-file
emms-player-simple emms-setup emms emms-compat org-config-thierry ob-sh
org-crypt cal-china lunar solar cal-dst cal-bahai cal-islam cal-hebrew
holidays hol-loaddefs appt diary-lib diary-loaddefs
org-annotation-helper addressbook-bookmark message rfc822 mml mml-sec
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader firefox-protocol
bookmark-firefox-handler bookmark-extensions org org-macro org-footnote
org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities noutline outline
easy-mmode org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table
ob-exp org-src ob-keys ob-comint ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs
org-loaddefs find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs init-helm-thierry
helm-mode helm-dictionary helm-ls-git helm-descbinds helm-ls-hg
helm-files image-dired tramp tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs trampver shell
pcomplete format-spec dired-x dired-aux ffap thingatpt helm-buffers
helm-elscreen helm-tags helm-bookmark helm-adaptive helm-info helm-net
browse-url xml url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util url-parse url-vars mailcap
helm-plugin bookmark pp helm-help helm-match-plugin helm-grep wgrep-helm
wgrep helm-regexp grep helm-external helm-utils dired compile comint
ansi-color ring helm-locate helm helm-source vc vc-dispatcher
helm-config helm-autoloads async-bytecomp cl-macs gv async helm-aliases
epa-file epa derived epg auth-source eieio byte-opt bytecomp
byte-compile cconv eieio-core gnus-util mm-util mail-prsvr
password-cache package epg-config time-date avoid cus-start cus-load
w3m-wget info easymenu edmacro kmacro advice help-fns net-utils
cl-loaddefs cl-lib tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
gfilenotify dynamic-setting font-render-setting x-toolkit x multi-tty
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 724007 49760)
 (symbols 48 66167 10)
 (miscs 40 1434 1068)
 (strings 32 175011 14740)
 (string-bytes 1 8389372)
 (vectors 16 58567)
 (vector-slots 8 1026544 33130)
 (floats 8 2330 460)
 (intervals 56 20549 9533)
 (buffers 960 170)
 (heap 1024 83726 3443))
-- 
Thierry
Get my Gnupg key:
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 59F29997