Subject: Re: bug#1863: Improved grep prompt

From: Lennart Borgman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 01:54:06 +0100

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 1:31 AM, Juri Linkov <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>>> In your case I myself see nothing that can help then ;-) but I think
>>>> newbees would benefit from having all the search and replace commands
>>>> under search and replace in the edit menu.
>>>
>>> I can't believe we still don't have these useful commands in the menu.
>>> But why do you think they should be placed in the Edit menu?
>>
>> That is where the search and replace commands normally are. Why do you
>> doubt they should be there?
>
> The `Grep' menu entry is traditionally in the Tools menu because it reads
> an external command like `Compile' and `Shell Command' do.  So perhaps we
> should add `rgrep' and `lgrep' to the Tools menu.

I think menus should see things from the users view, not from an
internal view. Emacs itself does not really care how the menus look
...

I would expect nearly all users to look for these commands in the Edit menu.