Subject: Re: bug#18620: 25.0.50; cfengine3-make-syntax-cache

From: Ted Zlatanov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2014 09:51:09 -0400

On Tue, 07 Oct 2014 11:22:46 +0800 Leo Liu <[email-masked]> wrote: 

LL> On 2014-10-06 22:31 -0400, Ted Zlatanov wrote:
>> Thanks for catching this, I had not noticed it sooner. Please see the
>> patch below; does it work for you? If so I will commit and close the
>> bug.

LL> cfengine3-make-syntax-cache may still return a regexp and it won't fall
LL> back on cfengine3-fallback-syntax when `cf-promises -s json' fails; how
LL> about something along these lines?

I like your patch better :)

Can you commit or let me know and I will?  It will close this ticket, I
hope.

LL> 3. cf-promises doesn't have -s option in Centos 6.5 (cfengine 3.3)
>> 
>> I think that's all right, we will default to the fallback syntax. The
>> `-s' option was added after 3.3 but IMO the fallback syntax is good
>> enough for all 3.x work.
>> 
>> (Unfortunately the Red Hat ecosystem has no CFEngine package maintainers
>> so to get the latest you have to install from the official CFEngine
>> package repo as directed by their website.)

LL> Agreed. Sad to see this and the cf community seems not very active. BTW,
LL> do you know if CF is still part of GNU? I only see version 2 on GNU¹.

CFEngine 3 was a rewrite of version 2. It's still under the GPL but no
longer part of the GNU project AFAIK. IMO it's quite good (the latest
release is 3.6.2) and it's actively maintained by CFEngine Inc, but the
proprietary non-free extensions in their Enterprise version and the
corporate ownership of the codebase make it unlikely it can be part of
the GNU project in this incarnation.

Ted