Subject: 24.3.94; EWW fails to check https certificates

From: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2014 01:48:35 -0400

I used EWW to visit an https website that uses a self-signed and
long-expired https certificate.  It failed to notify me of any problem.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.94.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.1)
 of 2014-10-02 on localhost
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11202000
Configured using:
 `configure
 CONFIG_SHELL=/gnu/store/wgvrj5q40prd4d1fb0j81n6gxdpqwz79-bash-4.3.27/bin/bash
 SHELL=/gnu/store/wgvrj5q40prd4d1fb0j81n6gxdpqwz79-bash-4.3.27/bin/bash
 --prefix=/gnu/store/6x3z5nwya75jgfs76qkpj25va9iwsqd4-emacs-24.3.94
 --enable-fast-install
 --with-crt-dir=/gnu/store/1zxdnj48g45pwram0s8nprvkkwxzp62b-glibc-2.20/lib'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Summary

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t

Recent input:
  [removed; irrelevant]

Recent messages:
  [removed; irrelevant]

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow term ehelp emacsbug sendmail sort gnus-cite mail-extr gnus-async
gnus-bcklg qp gnus-ml disp-table nndraft nnmh nnfolder netrc gnus-agent
gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu
mml2015 epg-config mm-view mml-smime smime dig nntp gnus-cache gnus-sum
nnoo gnus-group gnus-undo nnmail mail-source gnus-start gnus-spec
gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win misearch multi-isearch gnutls shr-color
color timezone parse-time help-mode mule-util url-queue network-stream
starttls url-http tls url-gw url-cache url-auth eww mm-url gnus gnus-ems
nnheader wid-edit url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util url-parse auth-source eieio
byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv eieio-core gnus-util password-cache
url-vars mailcap shr browse-url shell pcomplete comint ansi-color
paredit edmacro kmacro cl-loaddefs cl-lib server w3m-wget w3m-load
magit-bisect magit-key-mode magit diff-mode log-edit easy-mmode message
format-spec rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util help-fns
mail-prsvr mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader ring pcvs-util
add-log geiser-install geiser scheme time-date tooltip electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
dbusbind gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 8 389222 31229)
 (symbols 24 32379 0)
 (miscs 20 195 588)
 (strings 16 51077 6316)
 (string-bytes 1 1780492)
 (vectors 8 25575)
 (vector-slots 4 590009 18268)
 (floats 8 413 443)
 (intervals 28 3719 319)
 (buffers 512 28)
 (heap 1024 44807 14554))