Subject: bug#18598: 25.0.50; Rev. 118002 breaks starting emacs as daemon

From: Vladimir Lomov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2014 13:05:28 +0900

Hello,
from rev. 118002 emacs refuses to start with `--daemon' option though it
works without noticeable changes when started as simple `emacs'. Running
`emacs --daemon' in terminal gives
------------------------------ 8< ------------------------------
Warning: due to a long standing Gtk+ bug
http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=85715
Emacs might crash when run in daemon mode and the X11 connection is unexpectedly lost.
Using an Emacs configured with --with-x-toolkit=lucid does not have this problem.
Unsupported window system `nil'
Error: server did not start correctly
------------------------------ 8< ------------------------------

I can't provide any backtrace as I suspect that the problem with (Emacs)
Lisp code. Rev. 118001 works fine but in rev. 118002 only el files were
changed (in file xselect.c only comment was changed, according to diff).

In GNU Emacs 25.0.50.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.14.0)
 of 2014-10-02 on smoon4
Repository revision: 118006 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11601000
Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var
 --libexecdir=/usr/lib --with-xpm --with-jpeg --with-tiff --with-gif
 --with-png --with-rsvg --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-xft --with-libotf
 --with-dbus --with-gsettings --without-sound 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64
 -mtune=native -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector-strong
 --param=ssp-buffer-size=4'
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro
 CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK GPM DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS NOTIFY
ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LANG: ru_RU.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  erc-services-mode: t
  erc-list-mode: t
  erc-menu-mode: t
  erc-autojoin-mode: t
  erc-ring-mode: t
  erc-networks-mode: t
  erc-pcomplete-mode: t
  erc-track-mode: t
  erc-match-mode: t
  erc-button-mode: t
  erc-fill-mode: t
  erc-stamp-mode: t
  erc-netsplit-mode: t
  erc-irccontrols-mode: t
  erc-noncommands-mode: t
  erc-move-to-prompt-mode: t
  erc-readonly-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  global-auto-complete-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  display-time-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Recent input:
<help-echo> M-x r e p o r t - e m <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Loading /home/vladimir/.emacs.d/lisp/calfw-us.el (source)...done
Loading /home/vladimir/.emacs.d/lisp/auto-complete-us.el (source)...done
Loading /home/vladimir/.emacs.d/lisp/magit-us.el (source)...
uncompressing magit-version.el.gz...done
Loading /home/vladimir/.emacs.d/lisp/magit-us.el (source)...done
Loading /home/vladimir/.emacs.d/lisp/erc-us.el (source)...
Loading /home/vladimir/.private/emacs.d/erc-auth.el (source)...done
Loading /home/vladimir/.emacs.d/lisp/erc-us.el (source)...done
Loading /home/vladimir/.emacs.d/lisp/keybinds-us.el (source)...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-protocol hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-protocol
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-list hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-list
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-indent hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-indent
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-habit hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-habit
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-docview hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-docview
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-ctags hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-ctags
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-bibtex hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-bibtex
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ox-texinfo hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ox-texinfo
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-agenda hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-agenda
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-gnuplot hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-gnuplot
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-picolisp hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-picolisp
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-python hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-python
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-ocaml hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-ocaml
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-ditaa hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-ditaa
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-asymptote hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-asymptote
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-comint hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-comint
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-scala hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-scala
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-clojure hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-clojure
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ox hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ox
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-plot hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-plot
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-pcomplete hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-pcomplete
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ox-org hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ox-org
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-mouse hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-mouse
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-mobile hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-mobile
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ox-odt hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ox-odt
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-mhe hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-mhe
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-macs hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-macs
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-macro hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-macro
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-irc hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-irc
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-inlinetask hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-inlinetask
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ox-md hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ox-md
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-info hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-info
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ox-man hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ox-man
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-id hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-id
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-gnus hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-gnus
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-footnote hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-footnote
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ox-latex hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ox-latex
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-feed hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-feed
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-faces hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-faces
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-eshell hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-eshell
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ox-icalendar hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ox-icalendar
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-entities hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-entities
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ox-html hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ox-html
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-element hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-element
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ox-beamer hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ox-beamer
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ox-ascii hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ox-ascii
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-datetree hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-datetree
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-crypt hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-crypt
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-compat hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-compat
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-w3m hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-w3m
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-colview hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-colview
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-timer hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-timer
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-clock hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-clock
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-capture hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-capture
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-table hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-table
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-src hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-src
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-bbdb hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-bbdb
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-attach hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-attach
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-rmail hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-rmail
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-archive hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-archive
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ox-publish hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ox-publish
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-tangle hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-tangle
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-table hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-table
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-sqlite hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-sqlite
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-sql hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-sql
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-perl hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-perl
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-lisp hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-lisp
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-java hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-java
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-io hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-io
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-plantuml hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-plantuml
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-maxima hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-maxima
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-haskell hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-haskell
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-org hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-org
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-ledger hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-ledger
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-screen hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-screen
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-octave hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-octave
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-latex hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-latex
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-fortran hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-fortran
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-sass hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-sass
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-mscgen hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-mscgen
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-js hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-js
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-exp hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-exp
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-matlab hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-matlab
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-eval hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-eval
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-lob hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-lob
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-emacs-lisp hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-emacs-lisp
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-ruby hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-ruby
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-keys hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-keys
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-dot hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-dot
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-scheme hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-scheme
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-makefile hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-makefile
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-ref hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-ref
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-lilypond hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-lilypond
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-R hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-R
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-css hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-css
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-C hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-C
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-loaddefs hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-loaddefs
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-awk hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-awk
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-shen hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-shen
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-core hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-core
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-calc hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/ob-calc
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-install hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-install
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/org-version hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/org-version

Features:
(shadow sort spook cookie1 mail-extr emacsbug sendmail flymake
erc-services erc-list erc-menu erc-join erc-ring erc-networks
erc-pcomplete erc-track erc-match erc-button wid-edit erc-fill erc-stamp
erc-netsplit erc-goodies erc erc-backend erc-compat magit-key-mode magit
view tramp tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs trampver grep epa derived epg
epg-config diff-mode autorevert filenotify git-rebase-mode
git-commit-mode server log-edit message idna rfc822 mml mml-sec
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader pcvs-util add-log
magit-version auto-complete-config auto-complete popup calfw-ical url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
url-domsuf url-util url-parse auth-source eieio byte-opt bytecomp
byte-compile cconv eieio-core gnus-util mm-util mail-prsvr
password-cache url-vars mailcap icalendar diary-lib diary-loaddefs
calfw-org org-capture org-agenda calfw edmacro kmacro holidays
hol-loaddefs ob-shell ob-R ob-perl ob-latex ob-asymptote ob-gnuplot
ox-latex ox-icalendar ox-html ox-ascii ox-publish ox org-element
avl-tree org org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete org-list org-faces
org-entities noutline outline org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle
ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-src ob-keys ob-comint ob-core ob-eval
org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs find-func ess-toolbar ess-mouse mouseme
thingatpt browse-url ess-menu ess-swv ess-noweb ess-noweb-font-lock-mode
ess-bugs-l essd-els ess-sas-d ess-sas-l ess-sas-a shell pcomplete
ess-sta-d ess-sta-l cc-vars cc-defs make-regexp ess-sp6-d ess-sp3-d
ess-julia ess-r-d compile ess-tracebug ess-roxy hideshow ess-help
ess-developer ess-r-args eldoc ess-s-l ess ess-inf comint ansi-color
ring ess-mode ess-noweb-mode ess-utils ess-custom executable ess-compat
ess-site cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs preview-latex tex-site
auto-loads jka-compr dired+ image-dired cl-loaddefs cl-lib format-spec
image-file dired-aux bookmark+ bookmark+-key easy-mmode advice help-fns
dired-x dired bookmark+-1 bookmark+-bmu help-mode easymenu bookmark+-lit
bookmark pp ido time flyspell ispell paren time-date cyril-util tooltip
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment
elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai
tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp
files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
dbusbind gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 303945 18208)
 (symbols 48 45653 0)
 (miscs 40 143 147)
 (strings 32 94167 11202)
 (string-bytes 1 2927880)
 (vectors 16 36363)
 (vector-slots 8 684094 9308)
 (floats 8 232 225)
 (intervals 56 471 0)
 (buffers 976 13)
 (heap 1024 45336 2509))

--
WBR, Vladimir Lomov

"In the fight between you and the world, back the world."
 --Frank Zappa

Nogales El Paso DMAT advise Tony Blair Gulf Cartel Crash Forest fire
AIMSX Wildfire Chemical burn Alica Cocaine Peking e-bomb

--