Subject: bug#18592: closed (Re: bug#18592: FFI should have portable access to ‘errno’)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2016 19:56:02 +0000

Your bug report

#18592: FFI should have portable access to ‘errno’

which was filed against the guile package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
18592: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=18592
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#18592: FFI should have portable access to ‘errno’
From: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>
To: Nala Ginrut <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2016 15:55:21 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]> writes:

> Nala Ginrut <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Is there still problem? I'm fine with the patch, and I'm expecting to
>> merge it ASAP. Anyway, please don't hesitate to tell me if there's still
>> any problem, I'm glad to help to do it better. I really need it.
>
> Sorry for the delay, but I'm having second thoughts about whether this
> is the right approach.  Perhaps we should instead make a set of
> commitments that certain basic operations like scheme evaluation, heap
> allocation, and basic scheme procedures will leave 'errno' unchanged.

Okay, I finally decided to go ahead and add 'errno' support to the FFI
directly.  Pushed in commit ee3381c94d389d923591dcb610bac9ecfd68e6a4 to
stable-2.0.  If you could make sure it works for your use cases, I'd be
grateful.

I'm closing this bug now, but feel free to reopen if there are issues.

      Thanks,
        Mark

Subject: FFI should have portable access to ‘errno’
From: Frank Terbeck <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2014 22:17:04 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello Guile Maintainers!

When accessing POSIX functions from a system's libc via Guile's dynamic
FFI, you commonly want to access the ‘errno’ variable to be able to
produce useful diagnostic messages.

Currently there's no such access built-in.

Mark Weaver on IRC thought it would be a good idea to add portable
access to the contents of ‘errno’ (however it's actually implemented) to
Guile's FFI. And now the idea has entered the bug tracker. :)

Regards, Frank

-- 
In protocol design, perfection has been reached not when there is
nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
                                                  -- RFC 1925