Subject: bug#18590: 24.3.93; Scrolling changes/forgets selection

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2014 07:59:08 -0700 (PDT)

> Similarly, we could add a command that does "Move point back to the
> position it had before we started scrolling", which would provide
> some of the behavior that N. Jackson is requesting.

As Eli said, "That's for the OP to tell."

But I don't think N. Jackson is asking that point be moved back to
the position it had before scrolling (the buffer beginning, in his
use case).

I think he is asking that the region not lose its other end, i.e.,
that it extend back to the buffer beginning, from the scrolled-to
position.  I think he is OK with point remaining at the scrolled
position, but he wants the region to extend back to bob.  Scrolling
should extend (or reduce) one end of the region, but it should not
affect the other end.

I think the right behavior is what I suggested: If the region is
active then swap point and mark before scrolling, if scrolling is
in the direction away from point and toward mark.

  Have scrolling extend (or reduce, if scrolling toward point and
  away from mark) the region, but have it keep the other end of the
  original region.  It would have to be kept as mark, of course,
  since scrolling moves the point end of the region.  That is just
  what is done by mouse-3 too...

But "That's for the OP to tell."