Subject: bug#18590: 24.3.93; Scrolling changes/forgets selection

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2014 20:00:44 +0300

> Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2014 09:43:05 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
> > > And if I select a bit of text and then use the mouse wheel to
> > > scroll the window I don't see the problem either.
> > 
> > You don't use Emacs, if you don't see the problem.
> 
> C-SPC C-5 C-f
> Then scroll using the mouse wheel. Then C-x C-x. The region is from
> point back to the mark.

But point moves when you scroll, so the selected portion of text
changes.  The OP wanted the selection to remain unchanged on both ends
(at least that's my understanding of the report).

> Or press mouse-1, drag it a few chars, and release mouse-1. Then
> scroll using the mouse wheel. Again, C-x C-x selects from the new
> point back to the mouse-drag starting position

"From the _NEW_ point", exactly.  Ergo, the selection changed on one
end.

> All of these are what I meant by not seeing the problem with
> mouse-wheel window scrolling.

We have different notions of "the problem".