Subject: bug#18589: Why is the the longlines package obsolete?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2014 00:40:09 +0100

On 30 Sep 2014 19:19, "Stefan Monnier" <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> > However, from what I understand, visual-line-mode isn't capable of
wraping
> > lines to be shorter than window width, which was one of longlines'
features.
>
> You can get the same result by fiddling with the window margins or by
> splitting your window.
>
> Of course, by virtue of working differently, it might provide some
> functionality which visual-lines-mode can't provide.  But "lines shorter
> than the window" is not really one of them.
>

In my case, I managed to make longlines-mode wrap text while not wrapping
equations (LaTeX-mode). I also got it to indent wrapped lines correctly.
Both of which you can't do if you take the "change the margin" approach.

I understand this is a very specific hack, and doesn't justify unobsoleting
the package. But for the record, the code can be found here.
http://endlessparentheses.com/longlines-mode-in-latex.html

Thanks

Artur Malabarba