Subject: bug#18573: 24.3.93; set-face-attribute crashes Emacs on OS X 10.9.4

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2014 18:13:44 +0200

When launched via terminal (cli), Emacs crashes by just having this 
single line in init.el:

(set-face-attribute 'default nil :font  "Menlo-16")

Emacs does /not/ crash when launched from the Finder (same init.el)

I am using GNU Emacs 24.3.93.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin13.3.0, NS 
apple-appkit-1265.21) of 2014-08-15 on builder10-9.porkrind.org on OS X 
10.9.4

Sam Ask

In GNU Emacs 24.3.93.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin13.3.0, NS apple-appkit-1265.21)
  of 2014-08-15 on builder10-9.porkrind.org
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1265
Configured using:
  `configure --with-ns'

Important settings:
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   buffer-read-only: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
M-x e m a c s b u <tab> <backspace> <backspace> - b
u g - r e p o r t <return> <backspace> <backspace>
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace>
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace>
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> r e
p o r t <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Loading /Users/sam/.emacs.d/init.el (source)...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
delete-backward-char: Text is read-only

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message cl-macs format-spec
rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils cl gv cl-loaddefs
cl-lib time-date tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel ns-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process cocoa ns
multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 75113 4885)
  (symbols 48 17760 0)
  (miscs 40 78 113)
  (strings 32 10523 3551)
  (string-bytes 1 303408)
  (vectors 16 9703)
  (vector-slots 8 378700 13839)
  (floats 8 53 97)
  (intervals 56 214 0)
  (buffers 960 12))