Subject: Sound card codec module not loaded

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2014 12:00:14 +0200

As of f36afe4 (Linux-libre 3.16.3, eudev 1.9), the codec module of my
sound card doesn’t get loaded.

‘lspci’ identifies the device as:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
	Subsystem: Dell Device 0492
	Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 46
	Memory at e2e60000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
	Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2
	Capabilities: [60] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
	Capabilities: [70] Express Root Complex Integrated Endpoint, MSI 00
	Capabilities: [100] Virtual Channel
	Capabilities: [130] Root Complex Link
	Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

To work around the problem, I end up running this sequence:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
# rmmod snd-hda-codec-analog snd-hda-codec-generic snd-hda-intel snd-hda-controller snd-hda-codec snd-hwdep snd-pcm snd-timer snd soundcore
rmmod: ERROR: Module snd_hda_codec_analog is not currently loaded
rmmod: ERROR: Module snd_hda_codec_generic is not currently loaded
# modprobe snd-hda-codec-idt
# udevadm trigger
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Ludo’.