Subject: bug#18566: 24.3.93 Unable to use a command such as dired which involves forking a process

From: Jim Hurt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2014 12:50:17 -0500

Starting today (2014/09/26) when I issue a command that needs to fork a
process such as dired I get the message in the terminal window:
       0 [main] emacs-w32 816 child_info_fork::abort: 
C:\cygwin\bin\cygharfbuzz-0.dll: Loaded to different address: 
parent(0x340000) != child(0xF80000)

I am running Windows 8.1 using cygwin and
GNU Emacs 24.3.93.1 (i686-pc-cygwin) of 2014-08-15 on fiona

Emacs does not crash.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.93.1 (i686-pc-cygwin)
  of 2014-08-15 on fiona
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.3.9600
Configured using:
  `configure
  --srcdir=/home/kbrown/src/cygemacs/emacs-24.3.93-1.i686/src/emacs-24.3.93
  --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin
  --libexecdir=/usr/libexec --datadir=/usr/share --localstatedir=/var
  --sysconfdir=/etc --libdir=/usr/lib --datarootdir=/usr/share
  --docdir=/usr/share/doc/emacs --htmldir=/usr/share/doc/emacs/html -C
  --with-w32 --with-file-notification=no 'CFLAGS=-ggdb -O2 -pipe
  -Wimplicit-function-declaration
  -fdebug-prefix-map=/home/kbrown/src/cygemacs/emacs-24.3.93-1.i686/build=/usr/src/debug/emacs-24.3.93-1
  -fdebug-prefix-map=/home/kbrown/src/cygemacs/emacs-24.3.93-1.i686/src/emacs-24.3.93=/usr/src/debug/emacs-24.3.93-1'
  CPPFLAGS= LDFLAGS='

Important settings:
   locale-coding-system: nil

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
   show-paren-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   column-number-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
C-x d <return> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1>
C-y <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <menu-bar> <help-menu> <send-emacs-bug
-report>

Recent messages:
Loading paren...done
Warning: /home/jim/.emacs is newer than /home/jim/.emacs.elc
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
dired-insert-directory: Doing vfork: Resource temporarily unavailable

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils dired info easymenu auctex-autoloads
tex-site auto-loads package paren cus-start cus-load time-date tooltip
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel
w32-common-fns disp-table w32-win w32-vars tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register
page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew
greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind w32
multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 8 91775 6957)
  (symbols 24 19405 0)
  (miscs 20 46 164)
  (strings 16 16275 3570)
  (string-bytes 1 403304)
  (vectors 8 10156)
  (vector-slots 4 395964 5992)
  (floats 8 63 378)
  (intervals 28 253 205)
  (buffers 512 13))

-- 
Jim Hurt's Enventive Signature File

   Jim Hurt
[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>

	Enventive Engineering <http://www.enventive.com/>
   861 George Hill Road
   P.O. Box 209
   South Lancaster, MA 01561

   Phone: (978) 365-7458
   Fax: (978) 365-2876
   General information: [email-masked] 	
This message and any attachments are solely for the intended recipient 
and may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not 
the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, use, or distribution of 
the information included in this message and any attachments is 
prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please 
notify us by reply e-mail and immediately and permanently delete this 
message and any attachments. Thank you.