Subject: bug#18565: 24.4.50; set-default-font problem on Ubuntu 14.04 (Similar to bug#17486)

From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2014 18:14:02 -0700

I do not observe the problem on my Ubuntu 14.04 platform, after I installed the 
fonts-inconsolata package.  Perhaps that package, or the appropriate development 
libraries are not present?  You might try to install enough development 
libraries to match the "Configured features" listed below:

In GNU Emacs 24.4.50.6 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.8)
  of 2014-09-26 on day
Repository revision: 117756 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11501000
System Description:	Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS
NOTIFY GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB

Important settings:
   value of $LC_ALL: en_US.utf8
   value of $LC_COLLATE: en_US.UTF-8
   value of $LC_CTYPE: en_US.UTF-8
   value of $LC_MESSAGES: en_US.UTF-8
   value of $LANG: C
   value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t

Recent input:
<escape> x r e p o r t - e m a c s - b u g <return

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message dired format-spec
rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date tooltip
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment
lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple
abbrev minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
dbusbind gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 76123 3936)
  (symbols 48 17961 0)
  (miscs 40 38 88)
  (strings 32 11216 4563)
  (string-bytes 1 298914)
  (vectors 16 9975)
  (vector-slots 8 390555 14831)
  (floats 8 72 61)
  (intervals 56 185 0)
  (buffers 976 11)
  (heap 1024 20453 800))