Subject: bug#18560: 24.4.50; vc commit truncates message to the first line

From: Jarek Czekalski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2014 18:44:50 +0200

When I commit to svn using vc-next-action and provide a multiline
message, it gets truncated. Only the first line lands in the log.

I checked through variable vc-command-message, that the message
is passed through the -m switch, which seems a bit dirty for a multiline
message.

For me a serious bug - after months of work I lost a lot of log
messages.

This was already reported as part 2 in bug #1647: "vc-bzr commit bug on 
win32".

In GNU Emacs 24.4.50.4 (i686-pc-mingw32)
  of 2014-09-25 on BONSOFTW7
Repository revision: 117949 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
  `configure --prefix=d:/program_files/emacs-master'

Configured features:
PNG SOUND NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB

Important settings:
   value of $LANG: pl
   locale-coding-system: cp1250

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
   shell-dirtrack-mode: t
   global-hl-line-mode: t
   recentf-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   size-indication-mode: t
   column-number-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t

Recent input:
<help-echo> C-x C-f c : / <backspace> \ t e m p \ 1
\ s s <tab> <return> <return> <backspace> <delete>
C-x C-s M-x v c - n e x t - a c t i o n <return> C-SPC
<C-home> <delete> o n e <return> t w o C-c C-c M-!
s v n SPC u p d a t e <return> M-! s v n SPC l o g
<return> <f6> <f6> <help-echo> C-x r l <down> <down>
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down>
<return> <C-end> <C-home> C-s k a t o w i C-s C-s C-s
<return> <end> <home> C-s j a r e k <return> C-s k
a t o w i C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s <up> <up> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <C-home> <C-end>
M-x r e p o r t - e m a c s <tab> <return> v c SPC
c o m m i t s SPC o n l y SPC f i <backspace> <backspace>
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace>
t r u n c a t e s SPC m e s s a g e SPC t o SPC f i
r s t SPC l i n e SPC ( w i n d <backspace> 3 2 ) <return>
C-x k y e s <return> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace>
<backspace> <return> <return> y e s <return> M-x <up>
<return>

Recent messages:
Checking 70 files in 
d:/Program_Files/emacs-master/share/emacs/24.4.50/lisp/erc...
Checking 34 files in 
d:/Program_Files/emacs-master/share/emacs/24.4.50/lisp/emulation...
Checking 147 files in 
d:/Program_Files/emacs-master/share/emacs/24.4.50/lisp/emacs-lisp...
Checking 24 files in 
d:/Program_Files/emacs-master/share/emacs/24.4.50/lisp/cedet...
Checking 57 files in 
d:/Program_Files/emacs-master/share/emacs/24.4.50/lisp/calendar...
Checking 87 files in 
d:/Program_Files/emacs-master/share/emacs/24.4.50/lisp/calc...
Checking 111 files in 
d:/Program_Files/emacs-master/share/emacs/24.4.50/lisp/obsolete...
Checking for load-path shadows...done
delete-backward-char: Text is read-only
Please answer yes or no.

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail misearch multi-isearch shell
pcomplete log-edit message rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader pcvs-util add-log vc vc-dispatcher vc-svn
nxml-uchnm rng-xsd xsd-regexp rng-cmpct rng-nxml rng-valid rng-loc
rng-uri rng-parse nxml-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-ns
nxml-mode nxml-outln nxml-rap nxml-util nxml-glyph nxml-enc xmltok dired
grep compile comint ansi-color ring whitespace hl-line cus-start
cus-load xml-parse yasnippet derived easy-mmode edmacro kmacro help-mode
folding-isearch folding cl-macs advice cl gv eww mm-url gnus gnus-ems
nnheader mail-utils url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util url-parse auth-source eieio
byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv eieio-core gnus-util mm-util
help-fns mail-prsvr password-cache url-vars mailcap shr browse-url
format-spec bookmark pp recentf tree-widget wid-edit cl-loaddefs cl-lib
easymenu server time-date tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp w32-common-fns disp-table w32-win
w32-vars tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list
newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai
tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp
files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
w32notify w32 multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 8 208096 23817)
  (symbols 24 28612 0)
  (miscs 20 162 267)
  (strings 16 40352 8284)
  (string-bytes 1 1152127)
  (vectors 8 27558)
  (vector-slots 4 1294946 18618)
  (floats 8 228 372)
  (intervals 28 1143 1372)
  (buffers 516 23))