Subject: bug#18559: 24.3.90; can't start emacs - Odd length text property list

From: Jarek Czekalski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2014 18:39:48 +0200

I just built trunk r117948 on mingw. I can't start emacs, it reports:
Odd length text property list
I can't make a report from this version as it is not starting, even with
-Q. I managed to run r117941.

Attaching stack trace below.

Jarek

Breakpoint 4, validate_plist (list=8971294) at 
../../emacs-checkout/src/textprop.c:235
235             error ("Odd length text property list");
(gdb) bt
#0  validate_plist (list=8971294) at ../../emacs-checkout/src/textprop.c:235
#1  0x0114e2cf in add_text_properties_1 (start=4, end=48, 
properties=<optimized out>,
     object=22190749, set_type=TEXT_PROPERTY_REPLACE) at 
../../emacs-checkout/src/textprop.c:1181
#2  0x0114e634 in Fput_text_property (start=4, end=48, 
property=20970810, value=22189522,
     object=22190749) at ../../emacs-checkout/src/textprop.c:1323
#3  0x01073540 in produce_charset (pos=12, charbuf=0x88e47c, 
coding=<optimized out>)
     at ../../emacs-checkout/src/coding.c:7276
#4  produce_annotation (pos=<optimized out>, coding=0x88e6e8)
     at ../../emacs-checkout/src/coding.c:7319
#5  decode_coding (coding=<optimized out>) at 
../../emacs-checkout/src/coding.c:7414
#6  0x01077423 in decode_coding_object (coding=0x88e6e8, 
src_object=116670713, from=0,
     from_byte=0, to=11, to_byte=11, dst_object=20909466) at 
../../emacs-checkout/src/coding.c:8140
#7  0x010791e4 in code_convert_string (string=116670713, 
coding_system=<optimized out>,
     dst_object=20909466, encodep=false, nocopy=false, norecord=true)
     at ../../emacs-checkout/src/coding.c:9482
#8  0x01079405 in code_convert_string_norecord (string=116670713, 
coding_system=22096450,
     encodep=false) at ../../emacs-checkout/src/coding.c:9502
#9  0x011680e3 in intern_font_name (string=<optimized out>)
     at ../../emacs-checkout/src/w32font.c:289
#10 0x01168542 in w32_enumfont_pattern_entity (backend=21044986, 
font_type=4,
     physical_font=0x88ea48, logical_font=0x88ec30, frame=<optimized out>,
     requested_font=<optimized out>) at 
../../emacs-checkout/src/w32font.c:1085
#11 add_font_entity_to_list (logical_font=0x88ec30, 
physical_font=0x88ea48, font_type=4,
     lParam=8973812) at ../../emacs-checkout/src/w32font.c:1500
#12 0x768c247a in GDI32!D3DKMTGetDeviceState () from 
C:\Windows\syswow64\gdi32.dll
#13 0x0088ec30 in ?? ()
#14 0x768c23e3 in GDI32!D3DKMTGetDeviceState () from 
C:\Windows\syswow64\gdi32.dll
#15 0x00a946e0 in ?? ()
#16 0x768c259c in GDI32!D3DKMTGetDeviceState () from 
C:\Windows\syswow64\gdi32.dll
#17 0xee011eb1 in ?? ()
#18 0x00a907a0 in ?? ()
#19 0x768c256d in GDI32!D3DKMTGetDeviceState () from 
C:\Windows\syswow64\gdi32.dll
#20 0xee011eb1 in ?? ()
#21 0x0088ee10 in ?? ()
#22 0x01169226 in w32font_list_internal (f=0x16f4620, 
font_spec=20999229, opentype_only=1)
     at ../../emacs-checkout/src/w32font.c:833
#23 0x01178081 in uniscribe_list (f=0x16f4620, font_spec=20999229)
     at ../../emacs-checkout/src/w32uniscribe.c:74
#24 0x0111a07a in font_list_entities (f=0x16f4620, spec=24070029)
     at ../../emacs-checkout/src/font.c:2805
#25 0x0111a769 in font_find_for_lface (f=0x16f4620, attrs=0x88eff4, 
spec=24078277, c=-1)
     at ../../emacs-checkout/src/font.c:3282
#26 0x0111ab84 in font_load_for_lface (f=0x16f4620, attrs=0x88eff4, 
spec=24078277)
     at ../../emacs-checkout/src/font.c:3355
#27 0x0111ac53 in font_open_by_spec (f=0x16f4620, spec=24078277)
     at ../../emacs-checkout/src/font.c:3417
#28 0x0111ac8c in font_open_by_name (f=0x16f4620, name=116670681)
     at ../../emacs-checkout/src/font.c:3433
#29 0x011595f2 in x_default_font_parameter (f=0x16f4620, parms=22317782)
     at ../../emacs-checkout/src/w32fns.c:4382
#30 0x0115f963 in Fx_create_frame (parameters=22317782) at 
../../emacs-checkout/src/w32fns.c:4546
#31 0x011063f7 in Ffuncall (nargs=2, args=0x88f1d4) at 
../../emacs-checkout/src/eval.c:2723
#32 0x0113874b in exec_byte_code (bytestr=6, vector=2, maxdepth=16, 
args_template=20909442,
     nargs=8974804, args=0x2) at ../../emacs-checkout/src/bytecode.c:920
#33 0x01105e8a in funcall_lambda (fun=18882493, nargs=<optimized out>, 
arg_vector=0x88f348)
     at ../../emacs-checkout/src/eval.c:2956
#34 0x011061ff in Ffuncall (nargs=2, args=0x88f344) at 
../../emacs-checkout/src/eval.c:2784
#35 0x0113874b in exec_byte_code (bytestr=6, vector=2, maxdepth=20, 
args_template=20909442,
     nargs=8975172, args=0x2) at ../../emacs-checkout/src/bytecode.c:920
#36 0x01105e8a in funcall_lambda (fun=19200949, nargs=<optimized out>, 
arg_vector=0x88f4b8)
     at ../../emacs-checkout/src/eval.c:2956
#37 0x011061ff in Ffuncall (nargs=2, args=0x88f4b4) at 
../../emacs-checkout/src/eval.c:2784
#38 0x0113874b in exec_byte_code (bytestr=6, vector=2, maxdepth=24, 
args_template=20909442,
     nargs=8975540, args=0x2) at ../../emacs-checkout/src/bytecode.c:920
#39 0x01105e8a in funcall_lambda (fun=19198509, nargs=<optimized out>, 
arg_vector=0x88f628)
     at ../../emacs-checkout/src/eval.c:2956
#40 0x011061ff in Ffuncall (nargs=1, args=0x88f624) at 
../../emacs-checkout/src/eval.c:2784
#41 0x0113874b in exec_byte_code (bytestr=6, vector=2, maxdepth=68, 
args_template=0,
     nargs=8975908, args=0x1) at ../../emacs-checkout/src/bytecode.c:920
#42 0x01105f75 in funcall_lambda (fun=18902357, nargs=0, 
arg_vector=0x88f7cc)
     at ../../emacs-checkout/src/eval.c:2890
#43 0x011061ff in Ffuncall (nargs=1, args=0x88f7c8) at 
../../emacs-checkout/src/eval.c:2784
#44 0x0113874b in exec_byte_code (bytestr=6, vector=2, maxdepth=48, 
args_template=0,
     nargs=8976328, args=0x1) at ../../emacs-checkout/src/bytecode.c:920
#45 0x01105f75 in funcall_lambda (fun=18900621, nargs=0, 
arg_vector=0x88f8e0)
     at ../../emacs-checkout/src/eval.c:2890
#46 0x01105412 in apply_lambda (fun=18900621, args=<optimized out>, count=3)
     at ../../emacs-checkout/src/eval.c:2831
#47 0x0110565e in eval_sub (form=22106294) at 
../../emacs-checkout/src/eval.c:2253
#48 0x01107904 in Feval (form=22106294, lexical=20909442) at 
../../emacs-checkout/src/eval.c:1993
#49 0x0109e056 in top_level_2 () at ../../emacs-checkout/src/keyboard.c:1207
#50 0x01104b67 in internal_condition_case (bfun=0x109e03a <top_level_2>, 
handlers=20959738,
     hfun=0x109f702 <cmd_error>) at ../../emacs-checkout/src/eval.c:1344
#51 0x0109e96e in top_level_1 (ignore=20909442) at 
../../emacs-checkout/src/keyboard.c:1215
#52 0x01104aab in internal_catch (tag=20953578, func=0x109e910 
<top_level_1>, arg=20909442)
     at ../../emacs-checkout/src/eval.c:1105
#53 0x0109f383 in command_loop () at 
../../emacs-checkout/src/keyboard.c:1176
#54 recursive_edit_1 () at ../../emacs-checkout/src/keyboard.c:787
#55 0x0109f644 in Frecursive_edit () at 
../../emacs-checkout/src/keyboard.c:858
#56 0x0109ab40 in main (argc=<optimized out>, argv=0xc52ff8)
     at ../../emacs-checkout/src/emacs.c:1643
(gdb)

In GNU Emacs 24.3.90.2 (i686-pc-mingw32)
  of 2014-05-08 on BONSOFTW7
Repository revision: 117082 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
  `configure --prefix=d:/program_files/emacs24-master'

Important settings:
   value of $LANG: pl
   locale-coding-system: cp1250

Major mode: C

Minor modes in effect:
   shell-dirtrack-mode: t
   global-hl-line-mode: t
   recentf-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   size-indication-mode: t
   column-number-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t
   abbrev-mode: t

Recent input:
<help-echo> M-x r e p o r <tab> <return> c a n ' t
SPC s t a r t SPC e m a c s SPC - SPC o d d SPC l e
n g t h SPC t e x t SPC p r o p e r t y SPC l i s t
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> C-g
C-x C-f c : \ t e m p \ s r c \ e m <tab> - c h <tab>
s r c <return> M-x g r e p <return> o d d . l e n SPC
* <return> <help-echo> <help-echo> <down-mouse-2> <mouse-1>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <home> <up> <up> <up> <up>
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <down>
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down>
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <up> <up> <down>
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up>
<up> <up> <up> <up> <help-echo> M-x r e p o r t - e
m <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Loading 
c:/Users/Jarek/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/snippets/text-mode/.yas-compiled-snippets.el 
(source)...done
[yas] Loading snippet files from 
c:/Users/Jarek/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/snippets/text-mode
[yas] Loaded ~/.emacs.d/snippets
[yas] Reloaded everything....
Loading hl-line...done
Loading whitespace...done
Loading grep...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Quit
Grep exited abnormally with code 2

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr vc-bzr cc-langs cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess
cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs shell
pcomplete dired emacsbug message rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums grep compile comint ansi-color ring
whitespace hl-line cus-start cus-load xml-parse yasnippet derived
easy-mmode edmacro kmacro help-mode folding-isearch folding cl-macs
advice cl gv eww mm-url gnus gnus-ems nnheader mail-utils url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf
url-util url-parse auth-source eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile
cconv eieio-core gnus-util mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr password-cache
url-vars mailcap shr browse-url format-spec bookmark pp recentf
tree-widget wid-edit cl-loaddefs cl-lib easymenu server time-date
tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel
dos-w32 ls-lisp w32-common-fns disp-table w32-win w32-vars tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
w32notify w32 multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 8 217908 14720)
  (symbols 24 28252 0)
  (miscs 20 131 289)
  (strings 16 40240 5876)
  (string-bytes 1 1255123)
  (vectors 8 19506)
  (vector-slots 4 504869 6396)
  (floats 8 199 265)
  (intervals 28 3022 3678)
  (buffers 508 17))