Subject: bug#18556: 24.4.50; update-file-autoloads never ends

From: Vincent Belaïche <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2014 06:07:33 +0200

Hello,

I try the following where `$' denotes the shell prompt, and `-|' denotes
printed output:

$ emacs -Q --batch '--eval=(update-file-autoloads "balance.el" nil "~/.emacs.d/etc/my_autoloads.el")'
-| Generating autoloads for balance.el...

and my problem is that IT NEVER ENDS.

Attached below is the balance.el file causing the trouble.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

My Emacs version is
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
GNU Emacs 24.4.50.1 (i686-pc-mingw32) of 2014-09-23 on CHOUNEK
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

VBR,
   Vincent.

In GNU Emacs 24.4.50.1 (i686-pc-mingw32)
 of 2014-09-23 on CHOUNEK
Repository revision: 117919 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=c:/Programme/GNU/Emacs --without-jpeg
 --without-tiff --without-gif --without-png 'CPPFLAGS= -DFOR_MSW=1 -I
 C:/Programme/GNU/installation/emacs-install/libXpm-3.5.8/include -I
 C:/Programme/GNU/installation/emacs-install/libXpm-3.5.8/src -L
 c:/Programme/GNU/installation/emacs-install/libXpm-3.5.8/src'
 CPP=/mingw/bin/cpp.exe
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/mingw/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
XPM SOUND NOTIFY ACL ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $EMACSPATH: c:\Programme\NGNU\CVS;C:\Programme\GNU\GnuPG;c:\Programme\apache-ant-1.8.0\bin;c:\msys\1.0\bin;c:\msys\1.0\mingw\bin;
  value of $LANG: FRA
  locale-coding-system: cp1252

Major mode: Shell

Minor modes in effect:
  TeX-PDF-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  mail-abbrevs-mode: t
  iswitchb-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Recent input:
x m k r c ] SPC t y p o SPC i n SPC m a n y <backspace> 
u a l <down> <down> <down> <down> F o u n d SPC <return> 
<return> C-y <C-left> <C-left> <C-left> <C-left> <C-left> 
<C-left> _ <right> <right> _ <up> <return> <up> <up> 
<end> SPC i n SPC M-SPC C-y <return> <return> p a g 
e SPC <up> <up> <end> , SPC o f SPC 2 SPC D e c m <backspace> 
e m b e r SPC 2 0 1 3 , SPC p a g e SPC 7 / 3 6 , SPC 
d o c u m e n t a t i o n SPC o f SPC - n o r c SPC 
o p t i o n . <down> <down> <down> <down> <up> <up> 
C-a C-k C-k C-x C-o <up> <end> <backspace> : SPC ` 
i s ' SPC s h o u l d SPC r e a d SPC ' <backspace> 
ì <backspace> ` i t ' SPC <backspace> , SPC s h o l 
d <backspace> <backspace> u l d n ' t SPC i t SPC ? 
<down> <down> <end> <return> <return> <return> SPC 
SPC SPC V i n c e n t . <up> V B R , C-x 1 <prior> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> C-a <return> <up> H e 
l l o SPC J p o h n , <return> <up> <up> <down> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<backspace> <down> <down> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <C-right> <left> <left> M-d <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> C-c C-s y 
C-x b <return> M-x r e p o r t - b u f <tab> <backspace> 
g <tab> e m <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Sending via mail...
250 2.1.0 <[email-masked]> sender ok
250 2.1.5 <[email-masked]> recipient ok
250 2.1.5 <[email-masked]> recipient ok
354 enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself
Sending email 
Sending email done
250 2.0.0 vFer1o0032maGi203FerKl mail accepted for delivery
221 2.0.0 mwinf5d59 ME closing connection
Sending...done

Load-path shadows:
d:/msys/1.0/home/Vincent/.emacs.d/etc/custom hides c:/Programme/GNU/Emacs/share/emacs/24.4.50/lisp/custom
c:/Programme/GNU/Emacs/share/emacs/24.4.50/lisp/loaddefs hides c:/Programme/GNU/installation/cedet-install/cedet/lisp/cedet/loaddefs

Features:
(shadow warnings emacsbug pcmpl-unix balance autoload lisp-mnt
parse-time vc-cvs plain-tex etags doc-view image-mode ps-mode find-dired
iso-transl calc-map picture calc-vec tabify table vc ediff-vers
ediff-merg ediff-wind ediff-diff ediff-mult ediff-help ediff-init
ediff-util ediff cal-move cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs calc-store
perl-mode calc-lang thingatpt calc-embed calc-yank calc-units calccomp
calc-alg calc-aent calc-menu calc-prog calc-forms cus-edit add-log
texmathp tex-info texinfo make-mode mule-util vc-dispatcher vc-svn
preview prv-emacs reftex-dcr reftex-auc reftex reftex-vars tex-buf
noutline outline font-latex latex tex-style tex advice tex-mode compile
latexenc dired-aux mailcap whitespace diff-mode easy-mmode sh-script
smie executable rect vc-bzr autoconf autoconf-mode shell pcomplete
comint ansi-color ring bbdb-com crm network-stream starttls tls
mailalias smtpmail auth-source password-cache qp mail-extr sort
bbdb-message sendmail gnus-util message format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader dired-x
dired ses unsafep misearch multi-isearch hl-line eieio-opt speedbar
sb-image ezimage dframe find-func help-mode help-fns jka-compr info
accents-ascii eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv eieio-core
tex-mik preview-latex tex-site auto-loads calc-mathfloat calc-math
edmacro kmacro w32utils java-init cl-macs cl gv bsh-init recentf
tree-widget wid-edit cl-loaddefs cl-lib generic-x cc-mode cc-fonts
cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs
template mailabbrev iswitchb cus-start cus-load bbdb easymenu bbdb-site
timezone bbdb-loaddefs calc-misc calc-arith calc-ext calc calc-loaddefs
calc-macs skeleton load-path-to-cedet-svn time-date tooltip electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp
w32-common-fns disp-table w32-win w32-vars tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register
page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew
greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process w32notify w32
multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 8 773132 199581)
 (symbols 24 43851 86)
 (miscs 20 2350 4804)
 (strings 16 108692 22663)
 (string-bytes 1 4446193)
 (vectors 8 44769)
 (vector-slots 4 1606851 63216)
 (floats 8 223 967)
 (intervals 28 51226 4510)
 (buffers 516 81))