Subject: Re: bug#18549: parted causes scsi raid to not boot up.

From: Phillip Susi <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2014 09:26:42 -0400

Again, please don't remove the bug from the Cc list.

On 10/2/2014 6:52 PM, Price, Eric - Exelis.Contractor wrote:
> We are restoring a Windows 2000 image it will not boot up after
> restauration - the problem is specific to out SCSI RAID drives

A 14 year old release of Windows that has been end of life and
unsupported for years?  Yikes!  That could explain why it is trying to
access the disk in CHS mode.  On the other hand, you may simply need
to restore the correct Windows boot code to the MBR.  I don't recall
what parted puts there if you try to create a partition table on a
blank disk, but it almost certainly is not the same as the Windows code.

>> as they have been meaningless and obsolete since the '90s. I
>> gather that you are using parted to recreate the partition table
>> on the drive so you can then restore the data to those partitions
>> using some other means?
> 
> We restore use sfdisk to write the mbr

I am confused.  If you are using sfdisk to partition the drive, then
what does this have to do with parted?

> Pardon me 2.6.18 and parted 2.1

Oh boy, those are also ancient ( 8 and 5 years old ).  You should try
an up to date version.