Subject: 24.3.93; On w32 help-echo for menus doesn't pop up when cursor stops blinking

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 13:48:15 +0300

Steps to reproduce:

  . emacs -Q

  . Wait until the cursor stops blinking (after 10 blinks)

  . Click File on the menu bar and move the mouse to the first item

  . Wait for the help-echo tooltip to show up -- it doesn't

Disabling tooltip-mode (which shows help-echo in the echo area)
doesn't help.

You can see the same problem immediately if you disable
blink-cursor-mode, instead of waiting for the cursor to stop blinking.

I see the same problem in previous versions, if I disable
blink-cursor-mode.  However, since Emacs now stops blinking by
default, this will affect all the users, not just those who disable
blink-cursor-mode.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.93.64 (i686-pc-mingw32)
 of 2014-09-24 on HOME-C4E4A596F7
Repository revision: 117514 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/d/usr --enable-checking=yes,glyphs 'CFLAGS=-O0
 -g3''

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: ENU
  locale-coding-system: cp1255

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
M-x r e C-g M-x b l o i n k <tab> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> i n k <tab> c u <tab> <return> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<menu-bar> <file> <write-file> M-x <up> <return> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> M-x 
r e p o r t - e m <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Quit
Blink-Cursor mode disabled
Quit
Blink-Cursor mode enabled

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils cus-start cus-load time-date
tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel
dos-w32 ls-lisp w32-common-fns disp-table w32-win w32-vars tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
w32notify w32 multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 8 81120 7463)
 (symbols 32 18414 0)
 (miscs 32 34 128)
 (strings 16 12220 4097)
 (string-bytes 1 289882)
 (vectors 8 9592)
 (vector-slots 4 387986 3304)
 (floats 8 59 246)
 (intervals 28 256 28)
 (buffers 508 12))